Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

"Universal" Home Remote anything but universal

Search this Thread

Old September 23rd, 2010, 11:46 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry "Universal" Home Remote anything but universal

I bought a 2010 Malibu to replace my 2001 Monte Carlo (needed 4 doors). The Homelink system in the Monte worked great with my 8 year old Lynx Pro-Line garage door openers. Now, I find out that the Lear Car2U system that Chevy is using won't work with my openers because they use a "very specialized frequency" according to Lear. I think it's an excuse to sell converter modules and I think it's completely unacceptable for Chevy to do this. The Car2U system is hardly "universal" and is less universal than the 10 year old system in my Monte Carlo. I'm surprised there hasn't been a class action lawsuit to get Chevy to pay for the converter modules. Has anyone compelled GM, their dealership, or Lear to provide the converter modules for free? I'm considering filing a small claims court case but I'm not sure what the legal definition of "universal" is considered to be. The fact that they went backwards in functionality really ticks me off.....