Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Varneshed carb

Search this Thread

Old September 3rd, 2007, 2:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Varneshed carb

I left my chevelle sitting for a few months and I guess the carb(edelbrock 1400)is full of varnish. It runs ok for a few seconds on the initial start up but starts to stumble more and more til it finally dies. Is there a way to clean out some of the varnish to at least make it drivable? Carbs are a bit of a mystery to me soI would be worried to attempt to rebuild it my self and having it professionally rebuilt would cost just about same as buying a new one. Dose anyone have suggestions?
Old September 5th, 2007, 6:49 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Varneshed carb

I'm not big into Edelbrock carbs because they are to high maintenance but I have overhauled a few anyway. If it were me first I would make sure the carb is getting fuel and the filters arent restricted.
You might try cleaning the carb by removing it and turning it upside down and spraying carb cleaner directly into the float chambers through the bowl vents.
This sometimes not only will clean out crud and varnish but can also help loosen up the float and the needle valve. Don't be afraid to shake it a little while its off to stir up the crud before you dump it out.