Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Vibration when braking hard

Search this Thread

Old June 26th, 2016, 5:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration when braking hard

Ok i hav a 2008 chevy silverado 4x4 club cab. It has 144k and change for miles. I recently replaced the left front hub assembly because there was a ton of play in it. Since replacement my abs light and traction control light is now on full time. I pull a 26ft enclosed once a week with it about 40 miles round trip other than that i pull nothing else.
We left today and were heading down the insterstate at around 70 mph traffic came to a slow pace ahead of me so i had to apply the brake harder than normal. The truck began to vibrate. I felt it in the steering wheel and the brake pedal. All tires are good no cupping brakes are fine and wheel bearings , well like i said i replaced the left front hub. I thought maybe the right was bad so i jacked it up and it had no play. I checked the u joints out and they seemed fine. Im at a loss here. All help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Also noticed a very small vibration from around 66 to 69 mph and thats all.

Last edited by lonnie mercer; June 26th, 2016 at 5:36 PM.
Old June 26th, 2016, 7:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

the vibration during braking is most likely warped brake rotors.

the vibration at 65 + is something else....maybe out of balance tires or seized u-joint. checking the u-joint properly involves removing the driveshaft and moving the joint by hand to feel for tightness.

have the abs code read to see which abs sensor is setting the dtc.

1500 or 2500 truck? did you have issues removing the rotor during hub replacement? When rotor runout first starts; it is only felt during a hard, high speed brake application...so if you never hit the brakes hard before...you may never know its present.