Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Vortec V6 Timing Issues

Search this Thread

Old August 12th, 2007, 7:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vortec V6 Timing Issues

I recently had to replace a broken timing chain on my 02 Express with the V6 Vortec CFI. I installed the chain properly by aligning the Cam & Crank gear dots, #1 at TDC. I Installed the Distributor to the indent on the distributer body as per the book. But, when I go to start the beast, it just back fires through the exhaust as if its out of time.Do you set up the Distributor according to the dots on the gears, or is the Harmonic Balance more accurate? Just a little confused about this timing thing. If the Distributor isa tooth off, could it also cause this? I know the Distributor isa nightmare to get messed properly, it was probably a degree past the indent on the distributor base.
Old August 14th, 2007, 8:24 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: Vortec V6 Timing Issues

I've never used a book to tell me how to install a distributor, but the way i do it on the racing engines is; have someone crank the engine over a little bit at a time with your finger in the #1 spark plug hole and crank it until you feel a strong puff of air coming out of the hole. then go to the mark on the harmonic balancer and turn the crankshaft by hand using a socket and a ratchet on the center crank shaft boltuntil the mark lines up with the pointer on the timing chain cover. line it up with the large V notch. then go to the distributor and with the cap on see where the #1 spark plug wire is and make note of it then remove the cap and make sure the rotor is pointed to where the #1 spark plug wire was on the cap if it isn't reinstall it until it is sometimes you have to take a long flat tip screw driver and turn the oil pump shaft for the distributor to fall all the way into position.
Old August 14th, 2007, 8:34 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Vortec V6 Timing Issues

Hey their
Thanks for the advice. It has been a dogs day since I did a complete tear down. Come to find out, When I aligned the Carnk & Cam gears, I didnt bring the crank around another 180 Degree to TDC and install the Distributor. I was 180 Degrees off LOL
Thanks for your imput
Hopefully this damm Vortec Engine will last now that it has a fresh crank & chain
Jeff