Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

weak, no spark,

Search this Thread

Old June 6th, 2013, 3:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weak, no spark,

I have an 02 silverado with 116K on it, 4.3 2WD, About a month ago I got a check engine code p1345, Local mech. scanned it and told me to replace the cam sensor, I did, the code came back the next day, mech. said the truck would continue to run , it is just a nuisanse code. I drove the truck, it didn"t seem to be affecting anything.Last weekend the message center said CHECK ENGINE OIL PRESSURE, then the motor quit,On the advise of a different mech. I changed the oil pressure sensor, and the crank sensor, installed new plugs and wires, and ckecked fuel pressure 60 psi , it turns over but will not start, spark is is yellow on some of the plugs and no spark at all on others , coil tested out, I'm baffled, Just bought the truck 6 months ago, Can anybody point me in a new direction Thanks in advance. Aris.
Old June 6th, 2013, 3:59 PM
CF Beginner

I'm assuming you had to remove the cap and rotor to replace the cam position sensor, any chance the rotor came loose or got damaged, do you have good spark at the coil?
Old June 6th, 2013, 4:20 PM
CF Beginner

The only thing that I think is strange about the rotor is that it has some free play , it rotatesabout 5 deg. or so , I ASSumed that was to allow for advance, as far as the coil itselfe I did the ohm tests as described in the repair manual, I did not actually look for a spark out of the coil wire
Old June 24th, 2013, 8:15 PM
CF Beginner

Default Mystery Solved !!!!!!

Ended up at the local Chevy Dealership, ( Sometimes you just have to know when to surrenender and let a pro take over ). After about 15 minutes of question and answer, and a little tinkering under the hood the Mech, pulled the distributer shaft out , and the drive gear was stripped off half way around , and the rest of the teeth were worn to a very sharp egde. The rotor was sort of turning , then not which explains the miss fire and no spark on some cylinders, Still dont know what makes that drive gear strip out like that but the mech. at the dealership didn't seem too surprised, I personaly have never heard of it. Thought maybe some of you guys were in the same boat, so I shared my miserable exprience with and maybe give somebody with a similar malfunction another place to look, before you have to surrender. Good luck and thanks for the input.