Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

What do you say when your call a mechanic...

Search this Thread

Old April 1st, 2014, 7:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry What do you say when your call a mechanic...

I have a 2007 Impala, with 72,000 miles. I called the local mechanic and told him the engine light and warning light that says Engine Power Reduced came on. He asks " what kind of GM ya got. " !!
Why are the mechanics aware that there is a real problem, but GM is ignoring it and costing their customers hundreds of dollars that we don't have.
We've been told that it was the throttle body, or wheel bearings, or just a censer. But of course out of the 3 mechanics we went to no one agreed and they all wanted to charge just to put it on the computer.

IS MY CAR DANGEROUS TO DRIVE???
Old April 2nd, 2014, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all, welcome to the Forum.

And second of all, no that message doesn't imply a dangerous situation, and you can drive your car. Customarily, when the Reduced Power Message comes on the display, it won't run very fast though (10-20mph), so hopefully you won't be in a situation where that may be too terribly inconvenient.

There's a lot of confusion/opinions on how to fix/approach that message.
You can do a lookup here on the Forum, and see several fixes which have and have not really repaired the situation. But, here's what I'd do right now...

Take your ride to a Auto Parts Store (like Autozone*) they'll connect to the computer on it, and you can write down/make a note the "Problem Codes" which their tester displays. Then have them clear the history where you can start off fresh. Continue to drive your car.

Then...
1) Come back here, and we'll help you do a lookup on what codes you got from the Tester.
2) If/when another message/trouble light pops up on your display, try to take it by Autozone* right then/as soon as possible, and have them read that/the new problem code(s) and take note of it/those. Then compare the new codes to the previous.

Repetitive codes will probably direct you to the most likely repair needed.
I wish I could direct you more precisely, but, the RP message is very illusive, and several here have spent quite a bit of money trying to isolate a reliable repair.

One thing seems to be relatively common, though I don't think it's a complete fix, that being...
There are several Grounds associated with the Engine and Computer. Many have those connections cleaned and re-tightened and that seems to help some.

* = If Autozone doesn't do it free, call around and find a Parts Store which will.

Last edited by SWHouston; April 2nd, 2014 at 11:38 AM.
Old April 2nd, 2014, 4:03 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Hello C.Baker,

I am sorry to hear you are having this concern with your check engine light and understand how unexpected vehicle costs can be frustrating. If you decide to have your Chevrolet dealership look into this further, please do not hesitate to reach out to us via private message. Be sure to include your name, VIN, phone number, and dealership name.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old April 2nd, 2014, 11:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by C.baker
I have a 2007 Impala, with 72,000 miles. I called the local mechanic and told him the engine light and warning light that says Engine Power Reduced came on. He asks " what kind of GM ya got. " !!
Why are the mechanics aware that there is a real problem, but GM is ignoring it and costing their customers hundreds of dollars that we don't have.
We've been told that it was the throttle body, or wheel bearings, or just a censer. But of course out of the 3 mechanics we went to no one agreed and they all wanted to charge just to put it on the computer.

IS MY CAR DANGEROUS TO DRIVE???
Did you go to a GM dealership or just a mechanic? Has a GM dealership scanned your car?

If you haven't, how can you claim GM is ignoring it?

Post receipts if you went to GM, else you never did, and it was just local mechanics.