Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

What is my Alternator Type?

Search this Thread

Old November 2nd, 2015, 2:43 PM
MFY
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation What is my Alternator Type?

Hello everyone like most of you know I am pretty new in this forum and to the american cars, but thank you that you made me feel like I'm home, so this is my first question... (I know it's so basic for you all)

I need to replace my Serpentine belt for my 1999 Chevrolet Suburban LT 5.7 but every time I ask to auto part store, they ask me about my alternators type so this is my question.. How do I know if it is 100-104 or 140 or another? I couldn't find any other topics about that so I believe that will help other beginners like me : )

the only sign that I could find is that and I couldn't find anything in the google searches.. I found only 1 image that they were talking about a similar alternator like this was 140 but I wanted to ask and learn from you guys professionals : )

thank you very much
Old November 5th, 2015, 2:16 PM
MFY
CF Beginner

anyone? :/
Old November 5th, 2015, 7:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

decode your vin. rpo codes listed in the glove box will tell you the alternator build used for your truck.

better yet buy a oem belt. I have nothing but problems with aftermarket belts. the gm dealer can find the correct belt using your vin.
Old November 10th, 2015, 2:03 PM
MFY
CF Beginner

I just learned that it is 140 so I changed my serpentine belt, idler pulley and belt tensioner luckily thank you