Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

What are you doing to make your Chevy run longer?

Search this Thread

Old October 5th, 2019, 1:22 AM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts
Default What are you doing to make your Chevy run longer?

Here are a few examples I use:

1. Motor oil/ filter 5000-6000 miles full-synthetic..( I use synthetic fluids in everything, in fact)

2. Grease any zerk fittings

3. All hydraulic brake and clutch throw-out fluids every 2-3 years.

4. Put manual trans in neutral at long stop lights/trains R/R. Same with automatic transmission.(not legal in commercial vehicle)

5. All automatic trans fluid at 25000 to 50000, depending on smell and looks or filter. Manual trans every 4-5 years.

6. Extend green engine coolant with additive package. 4-5 years drain intervals. No orange dex-cool coolant at all.

7.Axles and transfer case fluids on pickups, burbs, tahoe ect., changed 4-5 years depending on dusty conditions.

8. Clean MAF and install new air filter every year. Fuel filter every year. Techron complete down the gas tank once a month. Run till low on gas..

9. Air conditioner on in cold weather for short periods to keep everything well lubricated (lots of cars use A/C with defrost but I still do this.)

10. Turn heater on routinely in summer to flush all the older coolant out. Half hour at 2000 RPMS.every month or so. Don't want to change heater core.

I have more but I would like to hear from your on what you do to keep your Chevy running good and lasting a long time..
Old October 5th, 2019, 8:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 512 Likes on 472 Posts

like it....#4 for manual trans is something people don't think about but yes, save that throw out bearing

-I add a fuel injector cleaner to the tank at every oil change.
-if I had a direct injection gas engine I would perform a induction clean once a year.
-if I lived in the rust belt....clean and lubricate the brake caliper pins and brackets once a year
-front end and suspension check once a year
Old October 5th, 2019, 10:18 AM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

i think the most ignored items are the fuel filter and trans. the fuel filter people only think about it once there is a fuel issue and i was even guilty of this one time. but an old head made a good point that a restricted fuel filter will put more strain on the fuel pump and will cause it to fail faster. the trans is ignored because of the recommended change time from years ago which was every 100k miles. my 94 has over 350k on it with only using regular oil (not even the high millage). i did have to replace the trans about 20 years ago when the old one crapped out and the "new" one came from a junk yard.

i do run Delvac 15-40 in my 04 impala for a few years now and it just went over 205k. ive changed the trans fluid a few times after i got the car with 140k. and i do have a issue with it slamming into gear after coming to a stop. but if i manually shift it and hold the rpms till 1500 or so it will shift with no problems.
Old October 5th, 2019, 5:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 512 Likes on 472 Posts

Yes
90% of trans problems are due to lack of maintenance...a fluid change every 50 000 is all you need but few people get it!
fuel filters are no longer a maintenance items on anything newer...unless your run a diesel. Thank the returnless fuel system design...a good idea imo
Old October 5th, 2019, 5:33 PM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

I place a strong magnet on my oil filter to help capture suspended metal in oil.
When I get home in the summer evenings, I open the hood to help alleviate heat build up.
Rotate tires at every oil change
Wash the underside once or twice a year
Lube all latches and hinges with a shot of white lithium
Wipe down rubber door seals with silicone paste once or twice a year.
Old October 6th, 2019, 6:06 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by tech2
Yes
90% of trans problems are due to lack of maintenance...a fluid change every 50 000 is all you need but few people get it!
fuel filters are no longer a maintenance items on anything newer...unless your run a diesel. Thank the returnless fuel system design...a good idea imo
Yeah my 2015 Malibu has the filter in the gas tank and the auto trans filter
up in the transmission impossible to change so 25000 miles using Dex 6.
Old October 7th, 2019, 10:00 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by in2pro
I place a strong magnet on my oil filter to help capture suspended metal in oil.
When I get home in the summer evenings, I open the hood to help alleviate heat build up.
Rotate tires at every oil change
Wash the underside once or twice a year
Lube all latches and hinges with a shot of white lithium
Wipe down rubber door seals with silicone paste once or twice a year.
All great advice! Reminded me that I have to rotate the tires on my Malibu soon. Wish I could install a magnet on my 6T40 transmission, but the drain plug is too small for
any magnet I've seen to JB weld it in place, and the case is aluminum, of course. Magnet on the oil filter is a good idea! I can likely use an old speaker magnet for that.
Old October 8th, 2019, 2:42 AM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
All great advice! Reminded me that I have to rotate the tires on my Malibu soon. Wish I could install a magnet on my 6T40 transmission, but the drain plug is too small for
any magnet I've seen to JB weld it in place, and the case is aluminum, of course. Magnet on the oil filter is a good idea! I can likely use an old speaker magnet for that.
Open up an old hard drive and recover the magnets, they are super strong and flat...
Old October 8th, 2019, 4:05 AM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by in2pro
Open up an old hard drive and recover the magnets, they are super strong and flat...
Thanks in2pro! I just happen to have an old hard drive I can use too!!
Old November 15th, 2020, 7:16 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At 200,000 miles I replace the PS pump ( it leaked in sub zero weather), and replaced both belts, both belt tension pulley assemblies and replaced the idler pulley for the serpentine belt. A lot of folks don’t know the GMT 900 trucks have a separate belt for the AC unit.

Quick Reply: What are you doing to make your Chevy run longer?