Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Wiper motor wiring help '79 C30 Pickup

Search this Thread

Old September 29th, 2008, 7:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiper motor wiring help '79 C30 Pickup

Iwasn't sure where to post this, but here goes!

I'm hoping someone can help with testing the wiring of a windshield wiper motor from a 1979 Chevy Custom Deluxe 30 1 ton pickup. (same as a Cardone 40-180 wiper motor.) I actually salvaged it and would like to use it elsewhere, but can't really figure out what each of the connections does. There are 7 altogether: 2 big ones I assume are to power the motor, two small ones near the fluid pump which probably power the fluid pump, and three down at the bottom which probably are for high speed, low speed, and park. But I can't figure out how to bench test it. Nothing seems to work, and I'm concerned about shorting the motor or the test equipment.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Michael

PS sorry for the " s above, I typed apostrophes and they came up as quotes...
Old September 30th, 2008, 6:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Wiper motor wiring help '79 C30 Pickup

Ok I figured it out, the motor needed a little help getting going. The two big prongs are for the parking mechanism, the three smaller prongs are for high and low speed. It seems that the center is common ground, and the outside ones are for each speed. It also runs fine in either direction. This will be used to move a Halloween decoration.