Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Wobbling

Search this Thread

Old January 4th, 2014, 8:17 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wobbling

I have a 06 Aveo with ~156000 miles on it. the car has had a lot of work. recently I just got new wheel bearings, tires. I have had issues with the wheel bearings going bad fast for some reason. I drive a lot. I bought the car in 2011 with 51000 miles. Anyway, I noticed this wobbling issue when I go a little above 60mph, the car starts to wobble/sway- it almost feels like it's just going to go out of control-just lightly swaying side to side, it doesn't really shake either. Any ideas what it could be? I thought maybe snow was packed in there, and there was. When I removed the snow it got better for a second, then it went back to swaying and wobbling again. Please help.

Thank you and I hope this post made sense and that I found the right area to post in
Old January 4th, 2014, 9:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

I think you were on the right track. Sounds like out of balance wheels. Did this come on after driving in snowy conditions? If any remaining mud/snow/ice is not washed out it will create a shake. the steel wheel and plastic hub caps of these vehicles make it very hard to power wash these wheels. You will have to power wash from the back of the wheels, roll the wheels 180* and then wash again. In some cases, I've just removed the wheels as it was so hard to clean it all out.

If the problem occurred immediately after the new tires were installed you may have a tire with radial tire variation. What brand of tires are they?

Last edited by tech2; January 4th, 2014 at 9:49 AM.
Old January 4th, 2014, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds to me like a lateral stability problem.
I'd check the bushings on the Sway Bar and Shocks.
Also, improper Toein can cause a sway/darting effect.

I'd just focus on a through inspection of the whole front end suspension components.

Last edited by SWHouston; January 4th, 2014 at 11:50 AM.
Old January 4th, 2014, 2:46 PM
CF Beginner

This started happening the day after we got a horrible snow storm, and I actually got stuck in the snow and had to do the reverse/drive to get out. The next day when I had to drive on the freeway is when I noticed it.

There has been issues with the front end on this car. For the most part within the last two years everything has been replaced! Lol this last time, as I'm just trying to get through until taxes with this car, the mechanic mentioned the alignment on the front and how the position of the front tires were off and that is why I have a wheel bearing/tire issues. I don't know if this has anything to do with what's going on, but I'm broke!

The tires are just the cheap ones from Walmart. Nothing great on this car. I'm not sure on the brand.

Thank you for your help! I really hope it's a snow issue!

UOTE=tech2;264922]I think you were on the right track. Sounds like out of balance wheels. Did this come on after driving in snowy conditions? If any remaining mud/snow/ice is not washed out it will create a shake. the steel wheel and plastic hub caps of these vehicles make it very hard to power wash these wheels. You will have to power wash from the back of the wheels, roll the wheels 180* and then wash again. In some cases, I've just removed the wheels as it was so hard to clean it all out.

If the problem occurred immediately after the new tires were installed you may have a tire with radial tire variation. What brand of tires are they?[/QUOTE]
Old January 4th, 2014, 2:47 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by SWHouston
Sounds to me like a lateral stability problem.
I'd check the bushings on the Sway Bar and Shocks.
Also, improper Toein can cause a sway/darting effect.

I'd just focus on a through inspection of the whole front end suspension components.
Thank you!
Old January 4th, 2014, 11:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

scar,
You know you can check the Towin on your front wheels yourself. Admittedly it's not extremely accurate, but it won't cost you a thing save time and having a long board and a couple nails, or a measuring tape.

Utube-measuring tape
Other ref:
Adjusting toe alignment on wheels | How a Car Works