Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Working on 12 bolt rear end

Search this Thread

Old December 18th, 2018, 11:11 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Working on 12 bolt rear end

Hello. First time poster here. I have a 12 bolt rear end that has drum breaks and will be converting to disk breaks. Part of this conversion will require me to remove the axles. Since this is my first time opening up the rear end housing, I want to ask the community for some tips to ensure that I am not over looking anything.

I have watched several you tube videos on this and I think I know most of the steps however there may be something missing. As far as I know, I would partly remove the cover, drain the fluid and remove the entire cover. Then proceed to remove retaining bolt, remove the pin then C clip to get the axles out.

When putting everything back, are there anything that must be replaced whenever this process is done? I would assume the rear end gasket would need to be replaced. Are there any other gasket or seals that would also need to be replaced? I want to ensure I buy all parts neccessary to do this properly. Also is there anything else I should probably do while I have everything open? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks