HHR This retro crossover vehicle combines the usefulness of a minivan with the size of a mid sized car.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out ChevyHHR.net

'07 2.2L Timing Issues Repaired, Then ENG PWR RDCED, Codes: P0223, P0122, P0123 (TPS)

Search this Thread

Old September 29th, 2015, 6:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy '07 2.2L Timing Issues Repaired, Then ENG PWR RDCED, Codes: P0223, P0122, P0123 (TPS)

The display panel shows the "check engine" icon and says "ENG PWR REDUCED" or something similar to that.

About a year ago we started having timing issues. We ended up opening the timing chain cover, realigning everything, replacing the tensioner and putting everything back together.

Now, the starter will crank the engine but nothing else appears to happen except for an occasional "hit". At least one of the spark plugs is firing. There is fuel pressure and the fuel pump starts up during ignition. The throttle valve moves a little bit while the starter is cranking. The voltages on the throttle position sensor with respect to ground appear okay. The purple wire (reference voltage I believe) vs. ground is +4.91V and with the car turned on before ignition the "sensor voltage" vs. ground is +4.46V which comes out to a difference of +0.45V (reference vs. the sensor). I'm not quite sure what all the other wires are supposed to be so I didn't test those yet.

All diodes were tested and all fuses were visually inspected. The voltage does change when the starter is cranking, especially if the gas pedal is pressed (if I remember correctly).

I've tried too many different things to list off here (mostly simple "fixes" from forums like this) but nothing seems to work. I am as certain as I can be that we got the timing chain aligned properly and it was running before this--just misfiring. The car has been sitting unused for about a year and there appears to be a lot of dry-rot on the corrugated wire covers along with a significant amount of dirt/debris inside the engine compartment.

Our next step is a find an ECM from a salvage yard to swap. Anyone have any ideas? I am willing to do whatever it takes. If you need any pictures, voltages or other info in order to help just let me know. Thanks in advance!

P.S. If anyone can point me in the direction of a repair manual or electrical schematics for this vehicle I would also really appreciate it.