HHR This retro crossover vehicle combines the usefulness of a minivan with the size of a mid sized car.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out ChevyHHR.net

2007 HHR LS “Jumped” Time, ENG PWR REDUCED

Search this Thread

Old November 5th, 2017, 10:41 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 HHR LS “Jumped” Time, ENG PWR REDUCED

First it jumped time and we determined the tensioner was bad so we replaced it. Well, it would turn over, make sparks and spray fuel but it wouldn’t start. We were also getting codes P0223 and P0122 (throttle position and pedal position sensor voltages too high/low I believe). Well, when I opened it back up to check the timing again I noticed that it had “slipped” one link clockwise. In other words, the intake and exhaust colored links were both shifted one to the right. Now that I’ve got the “front” cover off I noticed that the crankshaft sprocket link is shifted one to the left. In other words, it seems like everything should still be on time since everything has just shifted the same distance in the same direction. This should be equivalent to everything being “lined up”.

So so now I’m thinkig the timing is good. Is there any reason I should suspect the timing to still be off? I mean, if there are sparks, fuel, etc it should at least fire every now and then even if it was slightly off time? I mean, sparks + fuel + air = ignition. So why doesn’t ignition happen? It seems like the only possible explanation could be that the timing is off.

Anyway, I ordered a used accelerator pedal just to try it out. But my question is: should I even bother with getting those links lined up “properly”?

P.S. This all started with the infamous “ENGINE PWR REDUCED” message.

Also, I have a 2+ channel oscilloscope. Is there something I can look for on there regarding the relationship between the voltages of these two sensors to determine if that’s the problem?

Last edited by Jake Johnson; November 5th, 2017 at 10:46 AM.