HHR This retro crossover vehicle combines the usefulness of a minivan with the size of a mid sized car.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out ChevyHHR.net

Adding back the OnStar/Bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old August 24th, 2009, 12:43 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding back the OnStar/Bluetooth

Hello all, first post cherry pop, just purchased a 2009 Chevy HHR LT/LT2 vehicle. This was a slightly used beauty from a rental car place in Florida.

The problem is that I think because it was a car rental place, they removed the OnStar system as well as my bluetooth system (I have read that the two go hand in hand?)

I know that the vehicle at one point had to have had both the items. At the front of the car roof is a spot for a small antenna. There is a small cutaway in the headliner where the cable for the special rear-view OnStar mirror must have gone (I am assuming that the buttons were part of the rear-view mirror). The steering wheel is a leather-wrapped job with the Bluetooth buttons. When I press and hold the "mute" button for more than two seconds as the book states, the bluetooth does not activate.

I am guessing they gutted the OnStar system due to rental. I haven't yet taken the time to take the rear panel out to see if they removed the module or not.

Bottom line: I want to use the bluetooth with my vehicle's factory radio system. If I need to reinstall the OnStar, then so be it... in fact, I wouldn't mind having the OnStar for certain things anyway. My biggest question is what will I need to get everything back up an operational? Here's what I think is the short list so far:

-OnStar Module (installed in rear-right)
-OnStar equipped rear-view mirror (w/buttons)
-"stubby" antenna (there is none in the front roof antenna currently)

Anything else? Also, do you know if the OnStar will give me bluetooth, or is there something else I need? (I'd rather not do anything 3rd party-wise if possible.)
Old August 24th, 2009, 1:01 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome.

If it was a rental, it was likely built to be a rental and those additions where never installed from the factory.
I'm not familiar with it, maybe someone else here can help.
Old August 24th, 2009, 5:00 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by EvansBlue
Welcome.

If it was a rental, it was likely built to be a rental and those additions where never installed from the factory.
I'm not familiar with it, maybe someone else here can help.
Looks like you are correct. I wasn't able to pull off the area where the module was supposed to be, but I did get it to where I could look and see nothing there.

I didn't look as hard because I actually called Chevy/GM Customer Service and gave them the VIN. The person that took my call stated that there was never an OnStar/Bluetooth system registered for my vehicle.

So, I guess my question to any of you GM people out there is if I can purchase an OnStar/Bluetooth "kit" and install it, or should I just bite the bullet and get an aftermarket Bluetooth setup (parrot) with a LockPick harness so I can pump it through the radio?
Old August 24th, 2009, 9:41 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

It depends on how far you want to go to get that feature in your car. It would probably cheaper to do it aftermarket.
Old August 25th, 2009, 3:01 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by EvansBlue
It depends on how far you want to go to get that feature in your car. It would probably cheaper to do it aftermarket.
Well, having OnStar and factory Bluetooth would be nice... is anyone aware of a package that will let me install both back into my HHR, or would I have to suffice for a "parts" vehicle to hope to get them?
Old August 26th, 2009, 10:45 AM
CF Beginner

Well, after calling my local Chevy dealer's service dept. and speaking at length about this, here's what I found out:

1) My vehicle never had OnStar, Bluetooth or XM installed OEM (even though my steering wheel has the B/T buttons and the radio has the XM "Category" button).

2) There is no GM Parts/package that can be ordered to install in a vehicle that never had OnStar or XM to my dealer's knowledge.

3) My only hope for going OEM on anything would be to find a "Parts" vehicle for the same year that I could grab all of the wires, etc. for and install it myself. Even then, it would necessarily work as it may require special wiring, stereo, etc.

So, it appears that I will have to go aftermarket for the Bluetooth feature, and I will not be able to have OnStar in this vehicle, unless I can find a totaled 2009 HHR with those systems still intact. Maybe at some point I will just bite the bullet and purchase an aftermarket Stereo/DVD that has built-in bluetooth and will utilize the steering wheel controls. Now I just have to try and get approval from my wife, lol