HHR This retro crossover vehicle combines the usefulness of a minivan with the size of a mid sized car.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out ChevyHHR.net

Damaged Pistons

Search this Thread

Old March 4th, 2015, 10:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damaged Pistons

2006 HHR with a 2.2L engine

Car wouldn't start. Was getting fuel and spark,went to check compression and as I started cranking engine I heard what sounded like change dropping on the ground. I immediatly stopped cranking.

Pulled Cylinder Head and found several broke valves on exaust side and all bent on intake side.
Timing chain tensioner failed and chain slacked enough to jump timing it seems.

Would engine be ok to just put another head onto it? I have gotten mixed suggestions on this and due to money and other things replacing the engine is out of the question at the moment.
Has anyone else had same problem and just threw a different head on it and drove it?
I still owe 3000 on this thing. Engine ran great before it did this and didn't burn any oil.
Attached Thumbnails Damaged Pistons-ctl1.jpg   Damaged Pistons-cyl2.jpg   Damaged Pistons-100_0863.jpg  
Old April 17th, 2015, 3:44 AM
CF Beginner

First I would like to say that I had that I had the exact same problem on my daughters 2.2 liter Ecotec. The engine was maintained to factory specs using dino oil and has 120 thousand miles. When I checked the clearances everything was still within spec. That includes the bore size the roundness of the bore and all of the clearances for the rod bearings and crankshaft journals. The owner of the machine shop said this was not unusual due to the improvements in lubricants. Her engine had similar damage to yours the pistons were worse. I like you wasn't sure about them so a gutted it up and removed them knowing that I could install standard rings and pistons if required. Once I removed the pistons I was able to see tiny cracks in the pistons as well as the upper rings groove was pinched and the ring could not move freely in the groove. Bad very bad. The pistons and rings were replaced and the engine has been running for 4 months. The only downside is the engine oil consumption is still a little high. I expected this due to the bore size being within a couple of thousandths on an inch to max for standard and the out of roundness was at the 4 thousandths limit. The rings are wearing in and the oil consumption is still improving. She has about 2000 miles on the engine. One thing to watch for BE SURE THAT THE HEAD YOU BUY AS A REPLACEMENT IS EXACTLY THE SAME. The one I got was the same year but had a different fuel rail which had different size ports for the fuel injectors. I was able to fine some silicone O-rings to make up the difference if not I was going to have to change the head again.
Old April 17th, 2015, 11:04 PM
CF Beginner

I bought a remanufactured Cylinder Head and put a new head gasket along with a new timing chain set.
I removed sharp edges from nicks in piston and assembled.

Car is running perfect at the moment.

Will come back in a week or so and update.
Old June 12th, 2015, 5:08 PM
CF Beginner

I made sure the Head was exactly the same JohnGMTG.

It has been a while since I repaired this engine and so far it is running better than it did when they bought it.
Hasn't burned a drop of oil either or lost a bit of antifreeze like it was before the head change.

Now lets see how it is a year from now. lol
Old February 16th, 2022, 10:52 PM
CF Beginner

Default How did the car perform after time!? Any issues ever occur!? Having exact same issue!

Originally Posted by Jcdew67
I made sure the Head was exactly the same JohnGMTG.

It has been a while since I repaired this engine and so far it is running better than it did when they bought it.
Hasn't burned a drop of oil either or lost a bit of antifreeze like it was before the head change.

Now lets see how it is a year from now. lol

any issues !?!?!
Old February 17th, 2022, 6:07 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Dannyt596
any issues !?!?!
No issues at all to this day
Old February 17th, 2022, 6:48 AM
CF Beginner

Default Give me your luck!!

No issues at all to this day
that's insane! Appreciate the update, I have damage to my pistons from jumped timing, same issue. Debating cleaning up and buying a head, having a junkyard motor put in, or trying to swap pistons!

Old April 5th, 2022, 8:43 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2006 HHR with a 2.2L engine

Car wouldn't start. Was getting fuel and spark,went to check compression and as I started cranking engine I heard what sounded like change dropping on the ground. I immediatly stopped cranking.

Pulled Cylinder Head and found several broke valves on exaust side and all bent on intake side.
Timing chain tensioner failed and chain slacked enough to jump timing it seems.

Would engine be ok to just put another head onto it? I have gotten mixed suggestions on this and due to money and other things replacing the engine is out of the question at the moment.
Has anyone else had same problem and just threw a different head on it and drove it?
I still owe 3000 on this thing. Engine ran great before it did this and didn't burn any oil.
It takes alot to damage pistons and rings. If you have no major pitting, you can go back together with just a head from the junkyard.replace timing components as needed. Of course, get it checked before you install it. It sounds like you may have put diesel in it. It would destroy your head as such, bending valves and breaking up. I'd recommend dropping the tank as you replace it, just to make sure you don't have the same problem

Last edited by HHR guru; April 5th, 2022 at 8:46 AM.