HHR This retro crossover vehicle combines the usefulness of a minivan with the size of a mid sized car.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out ChevyHHR.net
Old July 22nd, 2015, 1:43 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension
Print Wikipost

OnStar Disabling

Search this Thread

Old December 28th, 2009, 8:06 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

the onstar is underneath the Right rear seat under a plastic cover. you may unplug the connectors from it if you like. that should turn off the light
Old December 31st, 2009, 11:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shawnvw
In my line of work, I specialize in diagnosing and repairing OnStar systems, as well as other electronics in GM Vehicles. I can assure you that the ONLY way that Onstar is integrated into the car is through the radio. It has the ability to mute the radio, and send its own audio through the speakers. Onstar also has the ability to scan the vehicle for codes, and be able to call for help if the airbags deploy. There will be no adverse affects of disabling the Onstar system. The dealer is hesitant to do it becuase they could be held liable if there was ever an accident, and you needed help but Onstar could not contact you. That being said, there is a waiver you can sign to have them do it, or you can just do it yourself.
My question for you is why does my onstar constantly say I am off route when I am not. I have told them this several times and I am wondering if there is a way to solve this problem. I am under warranty so worst case, I take it in, but I was hoping you would have an answer for me. Thanks.
Old January 1st, 2010, 9:18 AM
CF Beginner

I can only find my Bose amplifier under the passenger side rear seat, that and the other fuse box under the rear driver side. Is it not able to be disabled with a Bose system? Is it all integrated into it?
Old January 4th, 2010, 6:01 PM
Banned

sandman...remove the onstar fuse for 1 hour....reinstall the fuse, and drive for 22km(miles??). Turn the vehicle off disable the rap, and wait for onstar LED to go out. start the car, download a destination from onstar, and that should fix you up

Mac....the onstar module is in the right rear quarter panel. If you are trying to disable it, remove the fuse only. And if you really want, you may remove the cell antenna oax and the GPS antenna coax from the module as well. But do not remove the connectors fromt he module. There are data lines that go in and out of the module. Removing the module will interupt this circuit
Old January 5th, 2010, 2:42 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by shawnvw
Mac....the onstar module is in the right rear quarter panel. If you are trying to disable it, remove the fuse only. And if you really want, you may remove the cell antenna oax and the GPS antenna coax from the module as well. But do not remove the connectors fromt he module. There are data lines that go in and out of the module. Removing the module will interupt this circuit
Thanks for the reply. Yea I just hate seeing the service OnStar flash on my drivers information display. So simply pulling the fuse should cure this right? Thanks again.
Old January 5th, 2010, 7:03 PM
Banned

I have never seen this message before, but pulling the fuse should do the trick
Old February 6th, 2011, 11:58 AM
CF Beginner

Default Onstar Effects

What is interesting is hearing about why people want to disable onstar.
What many of you may not realize is that the Antenna (cellular) that is on when you turn on the ignition is right above your head. Has anyone done a health study here? What compounds the concern to me is that fact that 2008 and prior GM used 3 watt transmitters. Yes, similar ones were found in the old carry around phones that were deemed too powerful and potentially unsafe. So now current phone emit 0.6 watts and 2009 and above GM also uses a digital lower watt transmitter. But what about all of us who have been driving around with these things on above our heads for years? Is there any danger? With all the concerns about cellular radiation, has anyone done a study like this? That is the reason I would want to disconnect.
Old February 7th, 2011, 7:26 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by bubaroo
What is interesting is hearing about why people want to disable onstar.
What many of you may not realize is that the Antenna (cellular) that is on when you turn on the ignition is right above your head. Has anyone done a health study here? What compounds the concern to me is that fact that 2008 and prior GM used 3 watt transmitters. Yes, similar ones were found in the old carry around phones that were deemed too powerful and potentially unsafe. So now current phone emit 0.6 watts and 2009 and above GM also uses a digital lower watt transmitter. But what about all of us who have been driving around with these things on above our heads for years? Is there any danger? With all the concerns about cellular radiation, has anyone done a study like this? That is the reason I would want to disconnect.
On some of the earlier models of TB's, the Antenna is on the back window.
Old May 10th, 2011, 10:41 AM
CF Beginner

Default Location of onstar unit

Could anyone tell me where the onstar unit is located in the 2009 malibu hybrid? I have pulled the liner in the trunk and see nothing but the batteries and a fuse box on the left side
Old May 11th, 2011, 8:13 AM
CF Beginner

Default mailbu onstar

GM doesn't want you tampering with onstar which is why there are incorrect locations written about where they are including incorrect fuse locations. Remember this is Big Brother where onstar will know where you've been from the moment you pull off the lot until your vehicle is dead. Check behind the radio in the dash. Pull the front panel and radio, if it's there like in the Suburbans and Tahoes, you can;t miss it. The small black chip (antenna) on the side is the bluetooth. Good luck

Quick Reply: OnStar Disabling