HHR This retro crossover vehicle combines the usefulness of a minivan with the size of a mid sized car.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out ChevyHHR.net

Sticking Ignition key wont release from Ignition

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2011, 11:32 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Sticking Ignition key wont release from Ignition

I had a problem with my Chevy 2006 HHR with the ignition key sticking it wouldn’t release so the key can come out, I went online and found out these a little button switch under the steering wheel Colum that senses when the car is in park that switch is depressed in and allows the key to release well my question is (what would happened if I rigged the switch to stay engaged all the time thus allowing the key to release) Now I discovered that something may have broke in my shift lever not allowing the key button to release but I still would like to know if anything would happen if I rigged the switch to stay engaged.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
See my battery went dead and the battery is in the back but the back door was locked and there’s no key lock on that hatch door.

What I did was, Removed the steering colum cover and depressed the switch under the steering to release the key from the ignition.
Old August 11th, 2011, 8:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try starting it up, driving and running all of the electronics, sort of let the system reset. I have no doubt its something to do with the sensor that activates the dead battery key grab. You might have more luck than mechanically getting it out, because even if you are able to force it out, I bet it would get stuck in next time you try to use it.