Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

01 impala hard shifting problem

Search this Thread

Old October 20th, 2013, 9:48 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joezzee88
this is a big problem with GM cars trannsmissions. you need to install a shift kit. it will fix your problem. mine did that. it would be fine until i get into stop and go city traffic. the computer see's that the your transmission is slightly slow on it's shifts and will gradually increase transmission pressure until it eventually maxes out the pressure. you can turn off the engine and it will reset the comuter but it will do it again after so many shifts. you can fix it by installing a shift kit to speed up shift time. all you do is shim up the pistons and springs in your transmission accumulator. and it will speed up shift time so the computer wont recognize the the slow shift and max out transmission fluid pressure. you can access the accumulator by dropping the transmission pan underneath your car.
Please can give more indication how to get the accumulator, Is it an easy job to do? Do I need special tools? I understand I can shim it with some aluminium washer I can made, which size is it and how much I must shim it? I have got the pan out to change filter an oil before and it is not hard work.

Thanks in advance for your reply