Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

'03 Impala LS - Possible Tranny Shifting Issue?

Search this Thread

Old January 13th, 2010, 8:17 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation '03 Impala LS - Possible Tranny Shifting Issue?

Hey all! It has been a long while since I posted anything on here. I took my car (2003 Impala LS - 3.8L) out to the store last Friday and drove about 10-15 miles. Bare in mind, it was in the teens without wind chill on that day and has been here the past several days. The car did not get maybe more than 1/4 hot on the gauge. On my way home, it had been snowing really bad and about 2/3rds of the way home, my car started bucking and jerking from a stop sign when I went to take off. Once it stopped, it would shift pretty quickly (faster than normal) and the RPM's were really low. When I started going up a hill doing about 40mph to get up to 55mph, it did it again but not as bad. The next time I went out, was this last Monday and when I pulled away from a stop... it did it again. I took it to a car wash and washed it under and all over and seemed to drive much better after that and even took out the K&N air filter I had in there for 2-3 months. It did a little jerking going up the hill the other day but not anything major. She still wants to run low RPM's most of the time and is still shifting up gears faster than normal. I am confused on this. I have heard these tranny's have issues but this came with no warning. The car has been out west (AZ,NV) in the heat for the past 5 years or more and this is most likely it's first winter and over 5 years. I have owned the car going on 2 years this coming April. Someone did run into my car on the front pass. side back in July but that has been fixed now for a couple months. Could it be the tranny going or maybe a sensor got damaged from the cold and ice or what? It is not leaking fluid, but the fluid is pretty black on the paper towel when I checked it today. Can someone help me on this? Thanks!

p.s.- I forgot to mention that the car, while driving it, got as cold as 1/8th on the temp gauge without turning the heater on. Hope that info helps.

Last edited by DeHartShadow; January 13th, 2010 at 8:21 PM.
Old January 16th, 2010, 11:31 AM
CF Junior Member

Unhappy Getting P0742 Code Readout - Help!

I hooked a code reader up to my car and got a P0742 Code.
Below that it said:
Torque Converter
Clutch Solenoid
Circuit Stuck On

Can anyone tell me what this really means and how to fix it? This is in relation to the problem listed above. Is this telling me something bad or is this a somewhat painless fix?
Old January 17th, 2010, 11:43 PM
CF Veteran

Didn't I warn you about NY in the winter!!!! Is the thermostat stuck open?seems that 15 miles aught to warm her up some. Maybe that's the problem? Just guessing. How's things up your way? Haven't heard much from you.

Fred
Old February 1st, 2010, 12:55 AM
CF Beginner

Yea thats definitely the tranny about to buck you right off that horse. I was pretty disgusted when mine went at 85,000 miles. I never beat on my car and maintain it always. This is what is wrong with GM hopefully they are making some changes but when you take care of your car and the dam transmission goes with 85,000 miles on it you have been screwed. 1900 dollars later I had it rebuilt and its exactly the same as before which is good. Shifts nice now. Dealer wanted $3,000 I told them to shove it (not really but I was pissed, who wouldnt be?). Im also concerned now even more about the head gasket or whatever is made of plastic that goes on these engines. Again what is gm thinking putting plastic in where it should be metal. Still, I love my impala.
Old February 1st, 2010, 7:01 AM
CF Junior Member

I did some research and it looks as though the Clutch Solenoid needs to be replaced on the tranny which I see is an expensive job, $800-$1,000. I also see that is a common problem with Chevys. So, I guess when taxes are back I will be getting that done. Joy! I think the reason why it was running so cold is that it has just been freak'in cold here Gwampa. Yeah, I know I traded a Sun burn in for freezer burn. HAHA! Oh well. I met a wonderful woman by coming back home to Upstate, NY and I am very happy and thankful for returning. I don't think towing over 3K pounds on the back of my '03 Impala (3.8L) helped the tranny issue.
Old February 1st, 2010, 9:38 PM
CF Veteran

You're forgiven Joe. Love of a good woman is worth the tranny issues. Save and repair and stay in touch.