Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

04 Chevy Impala jerking/jolting while driving

Search this Thread

Old April 5th, 2016, 9:36 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Chevy Impala jerking/jolting while driving

Hi guys,
My 04 Chevy Impala started doing this jerking/jolting thing when I start driving. What might be the problem?

Thanks,
Optimus
Old April 8th, 2016, 3:14 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello Optimus, so with some more info maybe we can help. Can you describe this "jerking/jolting thing" some more? You said when you start driving, I take it this is only when taking off from a stop? How is it on a steady speed or slowing down? Does it shake or jolt when idling as in a rough running engine? If you rev the engine at an idle does it speed up smoothly or does it cause excessive vibrations? How long has it been doing this? Did it start suddenly or has it been getting worse for a while?
Old April 9th, 2016, 4:31 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Frank3,
Thanks for your response. Here is how I can say it. When I stop and step on the gas pedal or when it shifts gears, it's kinda a little jumpy. Also, I noticed that the driving is different, like you described it, it also causes small vibrations while driving and the speed up is rough. The driving is not as smooth as it used to be. As for the shaking when idling, it does not do that.
Best regards
Old April 13th, 2016, 11:33 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When going down the road and the jumping is actively happening, if you let off on the gas it goes away?