Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

04 Impala spark plug boot stuck and spinning

Search this Thread

Old January 18th, 2016, 12:56 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Impala spark plug boot stuck and spinning

Changing plugs and wires got to the last one in back against the wall (some space to work with) the wire just spins yet is stuck. I think it is the ceramic center on the plug spinning. Any suggestions on how to get it off
Old January 19th, 2016, 7:47 AM
CF Veteran

use a hook pick and hook the far lip then twist/pull or just cut down the side of the boot and peel it off then use pliers to pull the terminal off the plug
Old January 19th, 2016, 8:44 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

+1
I use to struggle with this and cut up my knuckles until I got pissed off and bought the best spark plug pliers snap on makes. best $ I ever spent.
Old January 19th, 2016, 11:27 AM
CF Beginner

I think I will try cutting down the side. I went to the auto parts store and asked advice call me crazy but just felt strange getting car advice from a 18 year old female. Maybe she knew a lot but didn't feel right
Old January 19th, 2016, 11:48 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the same problem with my 2001 Impala. After fretting with it about 3/4 of an hour, I was trying to use one of those hook tools you use for stuck radiator hoses. I guess I used too much force on it and the ceramic broke. I was able to take the end out of the plug wire but before I took the plug out, I blew around it with an air hose to make sure no chips fell into the cylinder.
Old January 21st, 2016, 12:43 PM
CF Beginner

Default Got it done

I had to lay across the engine for about 1hr but I slowly cut the boot off little by little it came off in pieces and then the rest slid off. Thanks for the help guys
Old January 21st, 2016, 1:55 PM
CF Veteran

doing it for a living definitely isn't easy, contrary to the general publics belief