Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

'06 Impala oil question

Search this Thread

Old September 27th, 2010, 6:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '06 Impala oil question

I have a 2006 3.9L impala which has the oil life monitoring system in it. I was wondering if I need put oil into it at all before it hits 0% It goes far beyond 3k miles before it hits 0% on the OMS. Thanks
Old September 28th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

If you are worried about the amount of oil in the engine prior to the 0% reading I would suggest that you check on the level of oil prior to this point or even at 0% to see how much oil is left and in what condition it is in. Also in your manual it does suggest that you do check the conditions and level of your oil at every fill up. Of course your own maintenance regimine may differ. Also the 0% reading doesn't necessarily mean that there isn't any oil in the engine. It simply means that the oil in the engine is completely used up and should be changed at your earliest convenience. I hope that helps to answer your question.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old September 28th, 2010, 10:52 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks alot Jeff. I have decided to change my oil to a Synthetic blend (Castrol) and keep an eye on my oil levels from here on
Old October 1st, 2010, 9:34 AM
CF Junior Member

Can the oil condition monitor be trusted? I have been changing it at 4 thousand miles. Is it necessary? Don't know. Who does? Mobile Oil says that their oil will go the distant but do they guarantee that?. I do my own changes because I am fed up with sloppy work and OVERFILLING and because the guy they are paying $7/hr is TOO STUPID TO CHECK THE SPECS. ( Think of it. You have a car you paid $25,000 for and it is being serviced by a HS drop out.) I also want to know what they are putting into the engine. Is it the right viscosity? Many will just grab whatever is on the shelf. I also want to know what they use if they check the brake and PS levels. Changing oil is a cheap maintenance procedure. I recently changed to Mobile Synthetic because I live in AZ and the temperatures in Phoenix reach 115+. Then I will probably go to 6000 mile changes. I have a diesel truck that takes 15 qts of oil. Those owners that use synthetic send samples away for testing. I use dino in my truck and change it about every 6M. If you have read my posts you will read that I am fed up with the take it or leave it attitude of dealers and their rediculous prices for parts. Recent GM cost for a Rt side rear view mirror (glass only) $78;aftermarket $30 INSTALLED! Brake neutral safety switch on my stick shift truck $98;E-bay $17! Brake pads $116;aftermarket same pad $50.

Last edited by klutz1; October 1st, 2010 at 9:47 AM.
Old October 7th, 2010, 11:02 PM
CF Veteran

I say Mobile1 (5x30)and a new Fram filter. Did considerable in-town driving and the sensors called for me to change at 4300. Next did quite a bit of highway driving with some in-town and the sensors 5700. All I know is that I'm smart enough to check the gauges and it saves wear and tear on Gwampa's old butt too. BTW, the dealers can go pee up a rope as far as I'm concerned.
Old October 9th, 2010, 10:02 AM
CF Junior Member

At 0%? When the sensors on my Impala read 50% the mileage is at 3000. I bought the Mobil 1 for my next change. Walmart cost is $23 for 5 Qts+$6 for a filter. There regular oil change with dino is $30. Synthetic about $54.