Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

07 Impala LTZ trans problem

Search this Thread

Old October 30th, 2011, 11:35 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Impala LTZ trans problem

I have an 07 Impala LTZ that I bought new. I had the trans fluid changed when the service department recommended it. After changing the fluid, I started having problems when starting the car and driving it right away when it was cold. Would back out of driveway and go to first stop sign about a block away. Would be OK, but when starting from the next stop sign, the trans would slip, kind of like I had a stall speed converter in the car. After slipping a couple of times and the car warmed up, everything was fine untill the next time car was cold. Took to the dealer and the kept it overnight and drove it cold, but nothing happened and there were no codes. Can't get it to do it on cue. Is getting worse, does it when car is warm now, but still can't get it to do it so somebody can see what's happening. Very frustrating. This has been going on for a year. Any suggestions?
Old October 30th, 2011, 12:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How many miles did you have on yours when you had the fluid service done? Did you take it back as soon as you noticed the problem and, if not why not? A lot of times on vehicles with high mileage (> 100k), you don't want the flush-and-change service since the solvent they use can actually make matters worse. If this is what happened to yours, you're looking at a major repair bill.

Last edited by EinST; October 30th, 2011 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Removed welcome, wasn't a newbie
Old October 30th, 2011, 12:41 PM
CF Beginner

Had about 90000 miles on it when they changed fluid. Took it in and had it checked as soon as problem showed up/
Old October 30th, 2011, 1:02 PM
CF Veteran

These transaxles are electronically controlled. Anything funny going on in the TCM will leave a stored trouble code even if the MIL isn't lit. Even if they found no codes, friction materials and hydraulic components do wear out over time. It's not that the transmission flush breaks something but, rather, can uncover latent problems.
Old October 30th, 2011, 7:07 PM
CF Beginner

I talked to a salesperson and was told that the trans in my car are not made anymore and that GM knows about the problem, but doesn't want to do anything unless pressed to do it. Something to do with a solenoid I think.
Old October 30th, 2011, 7:48 PM
CF Veteran

Maybe it's just me but the "salesperson" in general talks too much. I am curious on what he proposed you do, though.
Old October 31st, 2011, 3:24 PM
CF Beginner

Gave me an 800 number to call GM. On another blog I found somebody who had the same problem on a used car that they bought and GM knows about it and has a service bulletin, but doesn't want people to know because the cost is around $1200.00. This blog was from last year.
Old October 31st, 2011, 6:26 PM
CF Veteran

Okay, let us know how it turns out.
Old November 4th, 2011, 1:11 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Did you talk to Customer Assistance yet and get a case number? Any updates? If you have a case number and want to send it to me I can look into it for you.
Breanne
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old November 4th, 2011, 6:45 PM
CF Beginner

Any updates on this issue? I have an 07 that is experiencing this same problem. I changed the fluid/filter yesterday. I also, at the recommendation of a dealer service mech, added the limited slip fluid that you normally would add to a rear drive differential. It didn't seem to help the problem.

Quick Reply: 07 Impala LTZ trans problem