Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

09' Impala battery drain. Hook charger up fusebox sounds like it will blow up HELP

Search this Thread

Old August 15th, 2017, 7:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09' Impala battery drain. Hook charger up fusebox sounds like it will blow up HELP

my sister, she got a brand new battery and had a friend remove/old and install/new. After 4 days of regular use with no problems, she tried to start it one morning and it was completely dead and key stuck in ignition. I put cables to her car with a charged battery I had, because she was parked in a narrow garage and couldn't get cables to reach. I was I was able to get enough power to get the key out but not enough to make it crank.

She had a smart charger that when I hooked it up Wouldn't even acknowledge the battery.
I disconnected the battery from the car and the smart charger began to charge. After a day-and-a-half of charging at 2 amps I hook the battery back up the car, started up fine.
At that time I took a tester tested the battery with the car off it registered at 12.45 volts, then tested it with the car running and a registered a little over 14 volts. I thought she left a light on or something and now we're all good.
The car started fine for the next few days to and from work and then she took off for the weekend and let it sit for 2 days battery is dead again.
This time I brought my standard battery charger and when I connected it to the battery while the battery was connected to the car it sounded like the fuse box was going to blow up it was making a crazy loud humming and buzzing noise.
So as I'm writing this asking for help I have the battery disconnected and charging on its own.

Does anybody know what may have caused this problem? Or what this problem is? may someone have pulled a wire loose when they were taking the battery out or putting the battery in? why is it making this crazy sound when hook up to a charger? (The sound doesn't sound like a relay clicking. Sounds more like a buzz from a PG&E transformer, but super intense.) And what would be the reason the smart charger won't even recognize the battery when it's hooked up to the car? Could whatever is making that noise when I try to charge it also be the drain?
If anyone has any knowledge on this, I would be so grateful. Once I get a little charge to the battery I'm going to try and test (with the little knowledge I have) all power running to fuse box and alternator.