Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

1963 Impala SS 4spd Stuck in 1st gear!!!

Search this Thread

Old October 6th, 2011, 7:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1963 Impala SS 4spd Stuck in 1st gear!!!

Alright here is the deal. I was installing a new carpet kit and front console in my 63 Impala SS. I am not a newbie nor retarded. However, I was wrapping up the install i went to shift and I noticed it would NOT move out of gear! WTF!! I took off the front console and exposed the shifter. I did not notice anything out of sort. I jacked up the car and looked under neath to see if anything had fallen and jammed the linkage. Nothing i can see. Now I am NOT a transmission guy.. I have never owned a 4 speed car before. Here are a few observations:

1. while taking the shifter lever out i lost one of the two bolts that held the after market hurst ****er in place. I still can't find it. (it doesn't mean it is hung up somewhere neither)

2. The clutch engages as it should and I can ddrive it into the garage just fine in 1st gear.

3. I engage the clutch and the shift if fricken frozen in first like a SOB. It will not even hint of moving into neutral or anyother gear.

4. I can take pics, cause i dont even know what kind of trans i have.

y'all got any ideas, short of dropping the transmission?
Old October 7th, 2011, 8:19 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Is it a T10? Your going to have I think 3, but I know 2 shifter rods that hook to the transmission. I don't know the history, or about the missing bolt but, I'd suggest drop the shifter rods, and with a screw driver pop the fron shifter back to see if it will get out of gear.
Old October 7th, 2011, 8:20 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

I'm thinking there are two shifter rods, been decades since I've delt with one.
Old October 7th, 2011, 8:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have three shifting rods. I will take pictures tomorrow and upload and share my observations.