Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2000 Impala Power Steering issue

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2009, 12:36 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Impala Power Steering issue

Have a friend of mine selling a 2000 Impala with Cruiser package with about 112k miles on it she said that the power steering is out. I know the pump is about 50bucks and not hard to replace but she said that the line that goes from the pump to the <insert where it goes here> is whats bad. Any thoughts on what would be a failure on the line? she was priced about $600 to fix it. Any thoughts?
Old May 12th, 2009, 12:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if the line is bad it could be one of two things line is cracked and/or rusted or there are seals/o rings at the end of the line that could be bad might be a pain to get to you might have to take lots of stuff off to acess it
Old May 12th, 2009, 12:54 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by suzuki-guy
if the line is bad it could be one of two things line is cracked and/or rusted or there are seals/o rings at the end of the line that could be bad might be a pain to get to you might have to take lots of stuff off to acess it
So you would say $500 to fix that would be about right? or something someone can fix them selfs?
Old May 12th, 2009, 12:56 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would say 500 dollars is a rip off!!! I shouldnt be that hard just get a haynes manual and it will tell you step by step how to do it!!
Old May 12th, 2009, 12:58 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by suzuki-guy
i would say 500 dollars is a rip off!!! I shouldnt be that hard just get a haynes manual and it will tell you step by step how to do it!!
I guess figuring out if its the line its self or the o rings should not be hard to do but i guess getting back there and getting to all the parts is what would suck. She is selling it for 2500 i dont think thats a bad deal also the gas gauge doesnt work but thats a easy fix im sure.
Old June 15th, 2009, 6:27 PM
CF Beginner

the gauge will probably prove to be more difficult depending on whats actually wrong
Old June 15th, 2009, 8:57 PM
CF Junior Member

do you know where the power steering pump is located on the 3.8? it is a major PITA to get to it. just to fill the fluid is a challange.
this is a pic of the seriesIII supercharged 3800(L32), but its in the exact same place on the seriesII 3800

Name:  powersteeringlocation3800.jpg
Views: 2353
Size:  56.2 KB

It's on the back side of the engine (closest to the firewall). Under the alternator, almost. If you look between where the heater hoses go into the engine, you'll see the cap.

as far as the gas gauge goes its most likely the sending unit in the tank. my gas gauge doesnt work right when it gets below 1/4 tank. in order to get to it you dont need to drop the tank. i think GM actually did something that makes sence.
pull the carpet up in the trunk. inbetween the spare tire well and the back seat there should be a plate with a couple screws in it. remove the plate and you should be able to access the sending unit and fuel pump from there.

Last edited by milwaukee_01impala; June 15th, 2009 at 9:06 PM.