Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2000 Impala - sound upgrade. Head unit ???

Search this Thread

Old March 8th, 2009, 8:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Impala - sound upgrade. Head unit ???

Hi,

I am looking to install an amp + a sub in my Impala. I would like to upgrade all 4 speakers to high performance speakers. The challenge I am facing is that I am not willing to change my head unit. (settings, potential screw up of electronics, you name it)

So the questions is simple. There is anything aftermarket I can use to bypass the head unit removal and installing amp + sub in the vehicle?

Thanks in advance.
Mike
Old March 9th, 2009, 6:04 AM
Impala Super Moderator

You mean run your amp and subs off your factory deck?
This can easily be done. Just need a level converter or AOEM-GM24
Old March 9th, 2009, 7:16 AM
CF Monarch

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

I just answered this in the A/V section. Please do not post the same thread in 2 place. Please be patient and post one. The other has been deleted.

I doubt it not as easily done as just swapping out the head unit. FTR, its really simple to install a head unit. A new head will also sound MUCH better.
Old March 9th, 2009, 8:39 AM
Impala Super Moderator

Agreed
And there is no such thing as high performance speakers
Old March 9th, 2009, 10:00 PM
CF Veteran

Yeah and I want to upgrade my sound system so's the speakers buzz real loud and the "thump" sounds like a medicine ball falling on a loose gym floor. Oh wait....that's already been done by every high school dweeb with a car here in Albuquerque!!!!
Old March 10th, 2009, 8:44 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by Gwampa
Yeah and I want to upgrade my sound system so's the speakers buzz real loud and the "thump" sounds like a medicine ball falling on a loose gym floor. Oh wait....that's already been done by every high school dweeb with a car here in Albuquerque!!!!
Sounds like you didn't get much sleep last night because of it...
Old March 12th, 2009, 9:41 PM
CF Veteran

What kind of dumb **** plays a radio so loud that you can't make out the dirty language in the rapp music? How do they expect me to round-out my vocabulary??! lol
Old March 13th, 2009, 8:28 AM
Impala Super Moderator

I cant talk....haha
Old March 13th, 2009, 3:01 PM
CF Monarch

lol
Old April 7th, 2009, 11:12 PM
CF Junior Member

well heres the thing,
with a rca converter, you are splicing signal from speaker wire, which is not bad but its nnot a digital feed.
your factory player pushes out 12 watts rms.
when you upgrade to a cd player such as a midgrade pioneer, you will be getting 4v preouts to your amp, which is atleast four times as much as splicing signal out the wire, and it will be a digital feed, meaning better, clearer sound. not to mention you will be getting 22wx4 rms vs. your 12 currently. best thing to do would be to get a set of component 6.5 in front, and good 6x9 in the back run a highs amp on them. give em anywhere from 50- 100 watts rms to each channel and it will rock your world. and on the opposite side, run your wire for the sub amp. one thing to make sure and do is get some speaker savers for your door speakers, this keeps the base out of there, giving you better range with less distortion, and let the sub take care of all the low notes. one last thing, make sure you invest in a capacitor, as it will save you alternators, and tickets from your lights dimming. if you have any more questions that i could answer just let me know.

Quick Reply: 2000 Impala - sound upgrade. Head unit ???