Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2000 Impala speed cutoff

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2007, 11:39 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Impala speed cutoff

Hey, I have a 2000 Chevy impala, and I cannot get my car going faster than 105. I've heared that the impalas have chips or are goverened that prevent the car from reaching a higher speed.

Could someone tell me how to remove the chip or whatever is nessacery to get my car going faster.

If that step is impossible and there are any other ways I can get some more mph please let me know.

Thanks.
Old May 15th, 2007, 1:21 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 2000 Impala speed cutoff

you have found the speed limiter.
once you get up to that speed- the computer senses this- and it commands the fuel pump to stop pumping gas-
youll may feel this sort of power loss and then regain of power-.... thats the fuel cutoff ....
if you put your car in park and try to revv it pretty high- youll see it computer do this again- youll now heard the engine idle up and down as you reach that fuel cut off.... in park its done so you dont blow up your engine.
In drive- its done for safety reasons.... also because your factory tires are most likely not rated to go past x miles.
this helps them also in the lawsuit dept.
But It may be possible to turn off... on other chevy engines a TUNE- can disable this speed limiter. But after that- youre on your own as fas as speed-
Old May 16th, 2007, 12:19 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: 2000 Impala speed cutoff

have someone 'flash' the computer on it, taht way they can change whatever you want, shift points, revs, powerband, and remove the speed limiter....