Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2000 LS 3.8 L - cranking/no cranking problem ?

Search this Thread

Old March 19th, 2016, 4:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 LS 3.8 L - cranking/no cranking problem ?

My 2000 LS started developing a no-crank condition about a year ago . Initially , it wouldn't crank about 10% of the time . Over time , the percentage increased little by little until now it won't crank about 90% of the time . By " crank " , I mean turning the ignition key to the ' start ' position and nothing happens . When this occurs , everything else ( headlights, radio , horn , etc. ) works as designed , it just doesn't crank over ! This happens at random times and you never know when it will occur . I had a local Chevy dealer replace the BCM ( $600 + ) with no improvement . I took it to a mechanic that specializes in electrical/electronic problems and left it there for 6 weeks . He would try it every day to see if it would start and it did so each time . He said he couldn't diagnose it until it refused to crank . So I picked it up ( no charge ) and brought it home . I drove it every day being very selective about my destination trying to prevent a tow bill to get it home . That never happened but two days ago , I went out to start it and leave my driveway .... guess what ? That's right - no crank ! I have been trying for two days to get it started to no avail ! I may have to bite the bullet and have a tow truck take it back to his garage . Now that it is back in the ' no-crank' mode , perhaps he can diagnose and repair the problem ? Anyone have similar experience or advice you can offer ? Any and all help offered will be truly appreciated !
Old March 19th, 2016, 4:16 PM
CF Beginner

Forgot to mention - Battery is new and has been rechecked and shown to be okay . Early on , removed starter and had it checked and it was okay . Since starter is original to car , I think I'll replace it and see if it could be the problem ? It is 16yrs.old and even if it makes no difference , I think that would be a good move ? Also , when the engine does crank and start , there are no 'check engine' lights showing on dash ?

Last edited by oldblu65; March 19th, 2016 at 4:19 PM.
Old March 19th, 2016, 10:42 PM
CF Veteran

starter or ignition switch are not uncommon issues for those, do you hear the relay or solenoid click when its not cranking? If you hear the solenoid click its more likely to be a bad spot in the armature of the starter.
Old March 20th, 2016, 11:08 AM
CF Beginner

The ignition switch has already been replaced with no improvement . I am going to replace the starter today , hopefully it's cures the ailment ! Thanks for responding to my inquiry ! Will update you as to results !