Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2001 Impala power window problems

Search this Thread

Old July 3rd, 2016, 4:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Impala power window problems

Recently after a long day on the river I came out to my car to find that All 4 of the power windows have stopped working (up or down). This issue isnt isolated to just the driver control switch, as none of the other window switches can control their respective windows.

I have recently replaced the drive switch control with a new, factory switch pack, but that was some time ago and up until now the windows have worked perfectly fine.

On the day they stopped rolling up and down it was fair weather, so no water came into contact with the switch. Also, while driving, I noticed the lights come back on for the switches so I was able to roll the windows up some, but I let go of the switches and now the front two are partially rolled down.

Interesting fact: the power lock/unlock still seems to work fine, and also the side view mirror control seemed to work for a period of time, but has since quit working.

If anyone has experienced this please let me know of something I can try!!!!

THANKS!
Old July 5th, 2016, 8:44 PM
CF Active Member

If it was a blown fuse it just wouldn't work, but since yours has worked on occasion since going bad I'd look for a loose connection or broken wire somewhere. The bundle going into the drivers door would be a good place to start, you can just try the switches while swinging the door back and forth.
Old July 6th, 2016, 2:20 PM
CF Beginner

are you familiar with the fuse setup for these model impalas? Im having trouble finding out which one controls the power windows. I'm suspecting its a blown fuse because im getting no control at this point.
Old July 6th, 2016, 3:22 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

According to what I saw in the owner's manual it is located on the driver's end of the dash and is labeled "Retained Accessory Power". There is supposed to be BOTH a circuit breaker and a power relay. If I had to take odds at it, I bet the relay could be having problems.

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/att...1&d=1467836572
Attached Images  
Old July 6th, 2016, 6:22 PM
CF Active Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

If you have the sunroof, and it's working you can rule out the retained accsry relay and breaker. I second what U.Nanimous suggested, plus checking the connections inside the drivers door also. If that fails I'd check the back side of the fuse blocks for loose or burnt connections. A voltmeter or test light would be a big help tracking this down. FYI...The power mirrors are on a separate power circuit from the windows, (Left Instrument Panel Fuse Block "PWR MIR" fuse)
Old July 26th, 2016, 12:28 AM
CF Beginner

Turns out the Ground wire leading into my drivers side door completely split in two. Simple fix not an easy one to find though.
Old July 27th, 2016, 12:41 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by easymacdonald
Turns out the Ground wire leading into my drivers side door completely split in two. Simple fix not an easy one to find though.
Good detective work, thanks for the update!