Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2002 chevy impala stalling problem

Search this Thread

Old July 5th, 2010, 10:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 chevy impala stalling problem

I have a 2002 impala 3.8 L with 85k. recently i have been having problems with it randomly stalling while driving or idleing. The majority of the time the car just shuts off but sometimes a trac off light comes on and a service traction system light. After the car stalls it starts right back up and runs, very seldomly does it happen twice in a row. Hopefully someone can help me!
Old July 6th, 2010, 5:34 PM
Impala Super Moderator

Go get the car scanned for codes.
Old August 23rd, 2010, 7:42 AM
CF Beginner

Default Impala stalling.

I have an 01 doing the same thing. 130,000 miles stalling and the service traction light just came on while sitting and idleing. This problem does not throw codes as I have a scanner and it pulles nothing off the computer. I am going to replace the crank position sensor and see what happens.
Old August 28th, 2010, 4:19 PM
CF Beginner

Default Constant Stalling Issues 2006 Impala

Hey Everyone, I'm running into the same issue. My 2006 Impala SS 5.3L w/ 60,000 miles will start, idle, then die about 30 seconds after starting. Always the same three messages; Starting Disabled Service Throttle - Engine Power Is Reduced - Service Traction Control. It is worse in the morning but it has been happening while driving as well. It starts up after sitting for about one minute and will run fine. It does not have any codes that can be pulled. Let me know how that Crank Sensor works as it sounds like we have the same problem.
Old July 20th, 2011, 7:55 AM
CF Beginner

Question 2004 Impala LS Stalling Issue

Hey everyone. Been having strange problems on my Impala. Here are the facts.

2004 Chevy Impala LS (4dr Police pkg)
89000 Miles
Replaced crank sensor a week ago
replaced TPS (Throttle Position Sensor)
replaced thermostat (unrelated minor issue)
New battery

Now, I'm driving along the highway, and every time I give it a bit of gas, it will feel like the RPMS are going down - at this point the car will stall. As it turns off, the battery light comes on (presumably because the key is in the ignition with the lights/AC on) and the car shuts off. I pull over to the side, throw it in park, and restart it. Takes me a few tries sometimes, and then it will come back on. Really annoying, because I can't really take it over 40mph or else it does this. I just bought the car and I can't really afford to drive anything else at this point (every other car I own is a V8 and gas in NYC is astronomically expensive) and it seems it's one problem after another with this thing. On all of my older vehicles - no problems at all. I'm getting the Fuel Pressure Regulator checked this morning, but after that, I don't know what to do. No codes are coming up, and I've been getting really good gas from a place that was recently tested for water in their fuel. So I know the fuel is good. Frustrating.
Old June 4th, 2012, 1:11 AM
CF Beginner

I'm in the exact boat as ambiiiielove. 2002 Impala stalls while driving with trac off light coming on intermittently. Had the BCM and 1 CKP sensor replaced, but still does it. Any updates on fixes??
Old June 5th, 2012, 12:35 PM
CF Beginner

Default Same stalling problem

I have a 2002 Impala doing the same thing stalls while driving and turns right back on, it also need about 3-5 min warm up in the morn before it runs. I have already changed the crank shaft sensor and ignition switch, since I saw it on this forum but no luck.
Old June 5th, 2012, 1:39 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Is anyone getting SES lights? I have a 96 lumina 3.1 utilizes 2 ckps (why I guess to sell more parts) If the 7x is bad, it won't start nor give a code.
Old June 23rd, 2012, 4:43 PM
CF Junior Member

My suggestion before you start spending money. Look for air leaks in any bellows that feed air to the engine; tighten the clamps; check air filter ( don't laugh had this happen) Replace the PCV valve. Look for lose - grounds from engine to car + batt. ground. If you have the skill service the throttle valve body. Next check/replace the oxygen sensor.
Old July 25th, 2017, 7:43 PM
CF Beginner

Default Car kept stalling

2002 Impala kept stalling and starting right back up. I finally noticed that the screw to the fuse box underneath the hood was loose and now that I have tightened it I haven't had this problem anymore.

Quick Reply: 2002 chevy impala stalling problem