Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2002 Impala Idling high

Search this Thread

Old October 23rd, 2011, 5:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Impala Idling high

I have a 2002 Impala that is idling so high that at times you don't need to use the accelerator to reach speeds of 30 miles an hour. I am going to clean the throttle body as well as the fuel injectors this week, but am wondering if anyone has any other ideas.

Thanks
Old October 25th, 2011, 11:49 PM
CF Beginner

Check your throttle cable and peddle. Something could be hanging up and holding it down.
Old January 13th, 2014, 7:25 PM
CF Beginner

I know this thread is a couple of years old, but I did not see my car's symptoms in another thread and I may be able to help someone else. My 2002 Impala w/ 3.8L engine was intermittently idling high and sometimes would lose power briefly when travelling at 60 mph or greater. I checked the throttle position sensor resistance and wiring with an ohmmeter and it checked good. I then connected an ELM327 cable to the car's ODB2 port and to my laptop computer which had scanning software installed ($11 on eBay for both cable and software). The software showed the throttle position sensor reading jumping around at idle, sometimes reaching as much as 20%. Another reading that was erroneous was the MAP sensor which showed around 11 in.Hg with the key on and engine off (although with the engine running it was around 9 or so). Also, once when the loss of power problem had caused the car to quit and not restart, a mechanic was able to get it to run again by re-learning the PCM (computer) (I believe by disconnecting the battery.) These indications pointed to the PCM as being the problem so I found a used one on eBay (approx. $45) and had my mechanic install it. This corrected both the high idle and the loss of power problem. Also, the MAP sensor is now reading correctly.