Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2006 Impala "Low Oil Pressure-Shut off engine"

Search this Thread

Old August 17th, 2012, 9:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2006 Impala "Low Oil Pressure-Shut off engine"

2006 Impala 3.5L (N) with 91K. Msg: "Low Oil Pressure-Shut off engine" and audible warning (chime) comes on, but only after driving about 10 miles. Msg stays on only for a second or two, then goes off. This happens intermittently, but only after driving about 10 miles. I've changed the Oil Pressure Switch with a Delco part. When it started, I had 5,000 miles on Mobil-1 synthetic 5w30. I 've since changed the oil/filter with Mobil-1 5w30 and a Delco filter PF61. I changed the Oil-Pan gasket 5,000 miles ago and saw the pick-up screen in the pan. It was normal and the inside of the pan was clean and debris-free. I'm beginning to suspect a faulty GMLAN. Any Ideas?
The following users liked this post:
JohnnyGeeWhiz (December 26th, 2023)
Old July 1st, 2013, 6:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pressure Low, Shut Off Engine Dash Light

I am beginning to have this same problem. Occasionally, the light comes on, sometimes the bell sounds with it. Always, I shut down, check oil level and color, "all fine", restart, and "poof", it's gone...

Third time in a week. There is no "fault code" stored...

What did you end up doing to resolve? Going a little nuts on this one.
Old July 6th, 2013, 2:22 PM
CF Beginner

The problem is a faulty Oil Pressure Switch. I replaced w/Delco (last August/Sept) and it came back after about 6 weeks. I replaced that part under warranty and got about 6 months before it happened again. This time I used an Autozone switch. It has not happened in the 2 months since I put on the AZ part. Put the car up on ramps/remove starter but leave wired/replace switch w/21 or 22 mm (can't remember) deep socket. Cover starter with plastic grocery bag BC some oil will drip down. Incidentally, I use synthetic oil and change oil/filter at about 6-8 month intervals. Good luck
Old July 8th, 2013, 12:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pressure fake fault

Thanks for the info. I'll try it. The pressure fault came on all weekend and is beyond stressfull. I'll post again after some drive time. I really appreciate the advice.
Old April 7th, 2014, 4:27 PM
CF Beginner

Default low oil pressure light and chime comes on off and on

I have a 06 Impala, it has 164000 miles on it. The "Engine oil pressure low stop engine" light and bell has started coming on. I pull over and shut it off. I can start it right back and it will stay off most of the time. I drove about 20 miles today, and it came on, but on the way back it stayed off. This has happened i think 3 times in the last few months. My oil is full, and will need changed before long, but doesn't look bad. I just got layed off my job, so can't really afford a mechanic, but i don't want to hurt my car either. Can auto zone tell if it is a sensor or not? Really panicked here. Please help if you can.
The following users liked this post:
JohnnyGeeWhiz (December 26th, 2023)
Old April 7th, 2014, 9:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Katcountry54
I have a 06 Impala, it has 164000 miles on it. The "Engine oil pressure low stop engine" light and bell has started coming on. I pull over and shut it off. I can start it right back and it will stay off most of the time. I drove about 20 miles today, and it came on, but on the way back it stayed off. This has happened i think 3 times in the last few months. My oil is full, and will need changed before long, but doesn't look bad. I just got layed off my job, so can't really afford a mechanic, but i don't want to hurt my car either. Can auto zone tell if it is a sensor or not? Really panicked here. Please help if you can.
AutoZone probably can not tell you if it is the sensor or not. How would they know? They can sell you one to put on the car.

When was your last oil change? what oil are you using?

164,000 miles is a lot.

My old 2.8 mpfi had bearing issues and I had to use heavier oils.