Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2006 Impala - Random No-Start Issue

Search this Thread

Old August 10th, 2016, 2:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Impala - Random No-Start Issue

I have been having a random no start issue for 2 months now without a solution. The car cranks but does not fire. If I leave it set for 30 minutes or sometimes overnight is will start and run fine for a few days to a week before it won't start again. One time it quit running completely on the highway but started ok after 30 minutes. The second to last time it would not start it would continue to crank even though I took my hand off the key in the crank position. The last time it would not start it would crank for a few seconds then fire for a few second and then die while the key was still in the crank position. I have had it to the dealer 3 times now. The first time they cleaned the throttle body and did a position relearn. The second time they said it needed a new battery which I replaced. I could not get it started at all this past weekend and was ready to tow it Monday and it started. The dealer now has it for the third time and says they can't find anything wrong. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated
Old August 10th, 2016, 8:41 PM
CF Active Member

The first thing the dealer would have done was to hook it up to the computer so if they can't figure it out than it must be something intermittent that doesn't set a code. First thing to check for intermittent problems would be loose wires and make sure all your grounds are clean as well as tight. Fuses just blow but relays can have these kinds of problems. Considering the strange operation with regards to key position, you may want to check out your ignition switch. Other than that you need to look at items that will cause the engine to just plain not run, compression is not intermittent but what about fuel and spark? Fuel pumps are known to act up before actually dying or it could be something like the crank position sensor.

I hate to say this but too bad it isn't just dead, makes it easier to find what's wrong. Good luck and let us know what the fix turns out to be.
Old August 10th, 2016, 8:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

the key position/cranking is normal. starting a modern vehicle is no longer a command but rather a request to the bcm....the bcm will continue to crank even if the key is released from the start position to run.

leave with them for the week.
Old August 11th, 2016, 12:11 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We had a problem with our 2001 impala where my wife would start it in the morning and it would run for up to 30 seconds then die. Sometimes it would crank, other times it would not. A new battery fixed the condition. How's the battery in yours?
Old August 11th, 2016, 9:08 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by tech2
the key position/cranking is normal. starting a modern vehicle is no longer a command but rather a request to the bcm....the bcm will continue to crank even if the key is released from the start position to run.

leave with them for the week.
Good point, but I wouldn't rule it out. Not sure how good these switches are in the 8th gen but it is a pretty common failure in the 7th gen, often mistaken for a passlock problem.