Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2008 Impala Rear Tire Problems

Search this Thread

Old November 30th, 2009, 2:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Impala Rear Tire Problems

In the last 3 weeks I have replaced both rear tires after blowouts.
I did not see the first tire. My wife had driven the car to Gainesville, Texas and the tire blew a mile from where she was going. She had it replaced.
This weekend I was driving when the tire went flat rapidly. Took tire off and the inside edge was worn to the cords.
It appears the tire was rubbing the bottum of the strut plate. It finally wore the tire until it reached the cords and caused it to loose air rapidly.
Sitting still there is about 1/2 inch clearance between the strut and the tire. It is the same on both sides.
Has anyone had this problem or heard of this problem.
Car is at the dealer today. I'm waiting to hear what they say.
Old November 30th, 2009, 5:37 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

its probably from the rim riding on the flat untill you came to a stop
Old December 2nd, 2009, 7:00 AM
CF Junior Member

The late model impalas are notorious for rear alignment issues. If you look at your tires from behind check to see if they are leaning inward at the top. My guess is this is the issue. Some people have had the issue fixed for free under warranty (a rear camber kit install is required) and have had the dealership pick uip the cost of the new tires.... Others have not had such luck and had to pay for the whole thing...

YOur best bet is to come armed with information... there is a TSB about the probelm, just google it... Its an 08 so Im guess u may have some of your bumper to bumper left.
Old December 3rd, 2009, 2:14 PM
CF Beginner

Default Update

Got the car back last night. All they did was align the wheels. Did a 4 wheel alignment. The rear wheels still lean in at the top. I may wait till after the holidays and got back with the TSB's in hand.
In checking the TSB's I did notice that they only refer to Police vehicles. I don't see what difference it makes if the car is a police car or a personal car. I would think the alignment would be the same.
Old December 7th, 2009, 8:29 AM
CF Junior Member

YOu are right... there shouldnt be any difference btwn 9C1 impalas and non -police ones... They probablly issued the TSB that way to save their asses.

If they told you they aligned the rear wheels they may be full of bull... I BELIEVE that there is no way to adjust the camber on the rear wheels, which is why this problem is such a costly fix... Did you ask for the print out from the alignment machine?

The only way to fix the issue is to install a camber kit... If you can see the tires leaning inward that easily then there is obviously an issue.

Good luck.