Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2010 Impala Transmission Issues

Search this Thread

Old December 12th, 2016, 2:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2010 Impala Transmission Issues

Hello, I am brand new here and glad to have found this site. Can anyone please help me diagnose my transmission problem? I am currently waiting a call back from a reputable transmission repair shop here in Connecticut. My 2010 Chevrolet Impala had a tranny drain, gasket, clean at 96,000 miles. I currently have 155, 000 miles. Yesterday while driving on the highway and coming off an exit, I suddenly lost drive and had to downshift to either 2 or gear 1 and was able to pull over. I checked the fluid level, it was a little low so added a quart of tranny fluid hoping this was the issue but nope, did not help. So as I sit here today, here is where I am at. I can start off in either low 1 or low 2 with my 2010 Impala and these gears work fine. Once the rpm gets high enough I manually shift up to gear 3 and then drive and once I do this the car drives normally including all shifting that is necessary on a highway, I have all gears as well. Once I slow down, there is no drive or gear 3, just gear 2 and 1. I can repeat the process all over again and get the car to drive normally in all gears. I have been initially told that the issue is most likely a solenoid issue or computer related as well. The car threw no codes and again, lost drive with no warning. Any help here is greatly appreciated. I am pretty good at working on my vehicle for simple stuff but transmission issues with these new cars, no can do. Thank you friends for any help or advice.
Old December 12th, 2016, 3:42 PM
CF Beginner

Quick update. The transmission repair shop just called and told me that a band or clutch is probably going and that he suggests a rebuild is required at a cost of approx. $2,500.00. Any feedback or advice on this is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old February 17th, 2019, 8:19 PM
CF Beginner

My car just did this 3 days ago. Did you ever get the problem fixed?

Originally Posted by richardcop
Quick update. The transmission repair shop just called and told me that a band or clutch is probably going and that he suggests a rebuild is required at a cost of approx. $2,500.00. Any feedback or advice on this is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited by FCB7891; February 17th, 2019 at 11:16 PM.