Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2011 Chevy Impala Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old August 3rd, 2016, 12:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Chevy Impala Won't Start

What a day for your car not to start. I had an interview scheduled today and tomorrow.

Anyways here is the problem.

Drove my car for about 30 miles yesterday. No problems going to my friends house or on the way back. However when I went out to my car this morning I stuck my keys into the ignition and turned the key and the car won't start. There are clicks that can be heard when you turn the key. The dash lights up, the door open noise comes on, and it says battery saver active. The key also gets stuck in the ignition and I have to wiggle it around to get it out.

I turned the car off and looked that the battery itself. It seems the black negative part can come right off without unscrewing it. Is that normal? I tired to adjust the screw and tighten it but it seems whoever owned the car before me stripped the screw. So this leads me to think I may need a new battery cable . Its just sitting there connected to the battery and like I said if you want you can just lift it off the battery without unscrewing it. I dont know if that is normal or not.

However the battery does have a date stamped on it as November 2013. That means the battery has been in use for almost three years. Funny that its labeled as one of those 5 year batteries too. I do know that the average battery usually only lasts 2-3 years so I can't really be mad if its the battery.

So what do you guys think it is? Alternator? (Please no) Starter? (Please No) or just the battery? I am stuck at my house alone right now and until I get someone can get here i can't really check if the battery is giving out the correct amount of volts. If you need anymore information let me know.

Last edited by Coryay113; August 3rd, 2016 at 12:34 PM.
Old August 3rd, 2016, 7:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

have the cable terminal fixed. it needs to be clean and tight.

check the voltage of the battery with a voltmeter...fully charged is 12.6 volts, 12.4 is 50%, if its low, charge it up.

See if the car starts with a boost. if it does not, remove the battery and have it tested by a parts store or shop. You need to rule out the battery before doing any other testing.