Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2011 Impala Air bag questions

Search this Thread

Old October 16th, 2011, 10:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Impala Air bag questions

The transmission went out on my wife's POS Taurus a few weeks ago and we found ourselves looking for a new vehicle.

We came upon a 2011 Impala (with 13K miles) that was wrecked, but only needed a little work (driver airbag, windshield, bumper and tail light). Bought it for $10,200.

Right now all is fixed except for the airbag, where I've hit a roadblock. I have a new airbag on hand and ready to go in, BUT...I've been told that I need to replace the control module/sensor before I put the new airbag in. Is this true? I was also told that the old module may trigger the new airbag to deploy once installed. Would hate to waste that bag.

Another question I have: The radio is in "LOC" mode and the seatbelts are locked out and do not release. Are these problems attributed to the previous airbag deployment? Will simply replacing the blown bag fix these issues? Will those problems require a new control module? New seatbelts??

Thanks for any/all answers.

Last edited by scottybo; October 16th, 2011 at 10:47 PM. Reason: ..
Old October 18th, 2011, 5:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm...dead forum...guess I'll look elsewhere.
Old October 18th, 2011, 10:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No, not "dead," but full of cautious people. I venture for most of us it would never occur to buy a wreck that was in an accident with airbag deployment, fix it up with help from strangers with unknown credentials over the Internet, and then put the wife in it.