Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2012 Impala Key and Fob?

Search this Thread

Old December 30th, 2015, 8:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Impala Key and Fob?

I just bought a 2012 Impala and I was given two keys and one fob. I would like to get additional keys and fobs for it. I see ALL kinds of results on the interweb(GOOGLE) so I can get the keys and fobs for a lot cheaper than going through the dealer but people I talk to say I HAVE to go through the dealer to get them programmed. The VIN starts with a 2 so it was built in Canada. Can I get them programmed by myself? I may find someone who can cut the keys for me. Does anyone have instructions for programming the keys and remote? Thank you in advance.
Old January 4th, 2016, 1:49 PM
CF Veteran

there is usually a way to program them without a scanner but I personally haven't tried it, and be aware that theres a lot of aftermarket fobs that are junk and don't program. My opinion is to get OEM parts but to each their own
Old January 4th, 2016, 3:38 PM
CF Beginner

cleveland63b: Thanks for the information; I'm just trying to save some money in getting the keys/fobs made and programmed. As you probably know the dealers want a bunch of money to program a key or fob so I am looking for a less expensive solution. '63B' hmmm, been in the military have you? Thanks again.
Old January 4th, 2016, 7:24 PM
CF Veteran

once upon a time I was, and as far as cost it depends on the dealer, I know a lot of times if you buy the fob from us we don't charge to program it depending on the vehicle
Old January 4th, 2016, 7:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

you can program additional keys by yourself as long as you have 2 programmed keys.
-insert 1st programmed key turn key on, them key off and remove
-insert 2nd programmed key and repeat
-insert key to be programmed, turn key on, then off
new key is now programmed. start car and ensure it works.

not sure if there is a way to program a fob without the scan tool. Any shop with a full function scan tool can do this.

the new switch blade style key/fob combo can only be programmed by a dealer.
Old January 5th, 2016, 2:51 PM
CF Junior Member

Actually you only need one programmed key to re-program others. You can program up to 5 keys with the 2012 Impala. They all have to have the + in a circle on the key.
Put the original key in the ignition. Turn on to illuminate the security light. Turn off and insert the new key within 10 seconds. Turn on and wait for the security light to go out. Turn off the ignition and start the car. Program the other keys in the same fashion.
Old January 6th, 2016, 9:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

depends what country its built for. some model gm vehicles require 2 keys for export and Canadian builds; but only 1 for usa. all depends on the programming.