Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2012 Impala Nav Install *PLEASE HELP*

Search this Thread

Old July 31st, 2012, 1:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Impala Nav Install *PLEASE HELP*

I'm hoping someone will be able to me help out. I've been going crazy trying to find the answer to my question and I've been striking out everywhere I go. I have a 2012 Chevy Impala that I installed a factory navigation radio into. I have the GPS antenna mounted but I was unable to locate the vehicle speed sensor wire to tap into. Would anyone happen to know the location of this wire? The GPS does work, but takes (IMO) a really long time to locate itself and will intermittently lose signal. I've been told getting the wire on the harness that was included, tapped into the VSS wire will eliminate the problem I'm having.
Old August 27th, 2012, 9:52 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

*Update*

Over the weekend I replaced the GPS antenna that was included with the radio with the GM factory GPS antenna. I do have to say that it has made a significant difference in the signal quality and the speed in which the navigation finds itself upon starting the vehicle. With the old antenna the navigation wouldn't have located itself before I arrived at work, granted I work a mile from where I live but I still found this unacceptable. However this morning with the GM antenna the signal was there and the map had located itself before I was out of the neighborhood.

One of my contacts at a GM dealer provided me with the location of the VSS signal wire in my vehicle. Given the performance of the GPS with the new antenna I don't know if this is necessary now???? I would still like to understand what the radio uses from that signal and how it incorporates it into the navigation system?

On a side note the last piece of the puzzle to this whole thing is the audible turn by turn directions. I do have the settings in the radio switched "on" for turn by turn directions however the only audio I get from the navigation is at the very beginning "please drive to the highlighted route" and at the very end "you have arrived at your destination". During the route itself I don't get a thing. Anyone have an insight into this?