Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2018 Chevy Impala Wireless Charging

Search this Thread

Old March 9th, 2018, 9:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation 2018 Chevy Impala Wireless Charging

I bought my 2018 Chevy Impala in October 2017. I was told that it has the all new wireless charging. The sales people I spoke to told me it would charge all the new phones that had wireless charging capabilities. In particular the new IPhone x. I just bought a new iPhone x but it would not charge my phone so I called Chevy. They informed me that my brand new impala is not compatible with my nee iPhone x. The only gm vehicles that are compatible with the new iPhone x is the 2018 models of Silverado, Tahoe, & Bolt!!! Only 3 vehicles in their whole line up. Why not all 2018 models? why only 3? Why wouldn't they put the newest technology in the newest cars? I am very upset to learn this because the sales person that sold me the car was touting how great the wireless charging is. I feel that I was lied to and that what Chevy did was advertising fraud! Has anyone else had this same experience? And further more the lady on the phone when I called chevy said the 2018 impala's wireless charging is only compatible with iPhone 2007 and older! They don't even have wireless capabilities unless you buy a special case!!
The following users liked this post:
kevin pereira (May 26th, 2020)
Old March 22nd, 2018, 4:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear that. Googled this and Apple confirmed the same. I have a 2017 Impala Premier and my issue was the rubber charging pad did not fit my phone, so I removed it. If it were me, I would get a slim wireless USB charging pad that's compatible with your phone and put it in the charging cubby.

Mark
Old April 19th, 2018, 1:44 AM
CF Beginner

When I bought a new Impala, my wife thought it would be a good idea to get rid of dinosaur phone.
Turns out new phone is not compatible with new car, but the dinosaur phone would have been. Lol
But I found I can play aound trying and at times it will charge the new phone.
Old July 15th, 2018, 10:41 PM
CF Beginner

Default Such a worthless item

i too bought my 2018 Impala with wireless charging. One of the main selling points! It didn’t work. Found out I have to have a $105 special phone cover. But then when I got home I would have to use another special base to go with my special cover...I thought it was going to make my life easier and it made it more expensive and more confusing. I returned the special cover and charge base and threw my hands up in the air...I wrote Chevy and told them it was so stupid but never heard back!! Why doesn’t it work??? Is there a retrofit they can do??
Old July 15th, 2018, 11:38 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Lori Ann Fox
i too bought my 2018 Impala with wireless charging. One of the main selling points! It didn’t work. Found out I have to have a $105 special phone cover. But then when I got home I would have to use another special base to go with my special cover...I thought it was going to make my life easier and it made it more expensive and more confusing. I returned the special cover and charge base and threw my hands up in the air...I wrote Chevy and told them it was so stupid but never heard back!! Why doesn’t it work??? Is there a retrofit they can do??
For the 2019 Impala , they have come up with an improved wireless charging pad to handle newer or more phones.
It's GM part 84526978 which is available at your dealership for around $100....
Online it can be found for approx $75 including shipping.
Pop out the rubber pad... four screws.. unplug cable... resemble in reverse order...
There's a chart avialable to see which phones are compatable with new charger...
Old July 16th, 2018, 12:09 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Lori Ann Fox
Try Google the following:

New Wireless Charging System Retrofit Kit Techlink
Old December 30th, 2019, 11:02 AM
CF Beginner

I recently purchased this GM part 84526978, and I'm trying to install it myself on my 2018 Impala. I removed the rubber pad; though under that no screws are present. I'm just seeing a plastic surface next to the 12V port. Are there any videos/pictures instructing how this can be done?

UPDATE - Is there a replacement part for the center floor console? The one I have has the 12V port. I need to remove that and install the console with the charging pad for my iPhone XS Max. Does anyone know where I can find this?

Last edited by Hazem091; December 30th, 2019 at 11:48 AM.
Old May 26th, 2020, 7:00 PM
CF Beginner

im just now finding out after buying my 18 impala that i wanted to use the wireless charging feature for my iPhone 8plus and the phones way to big for the rubber piece. Whoever designed this should get demoted. There's no use for that whole console now . im going to have to figure out how to make my phone charge wirelessly now i will get back to you asap once i figue it out.