Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

6 Speeds Shifting Too Much?

Search this Thread

Old December 25th, 2012, 11:58 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 Speeds Shifting Too Much?

I'm looking to trade in my '09 Impala for a '12 Impala. I've read in a few places that the 6 speeds shift gears up and down too much, causing an uncomfortable ride. Has anyone experienced this?
Old April 4th, 2014, 10:15 AM
CF Beginner

Unless they changed in 2013??..........i sure like my 6 speed....especially in the mountains.......

the shifting is very smooth in my opinion........ though a different "feel" from any chevy i've owned.......
Old April 4th, 2014, 10:24 AM
CF Junior Member

The ride is not uncomfortable at all, shifts are very smooth, but by it's very nature it will shift more than a 4 speed, there is no way around that. Want to try something that really shifts a lot, try a Chrysler with the new 9 speed automatic.
Old April 4th, 2014, 12:27 PM
CF Junior Member

one thing i noticed in my 2014 is it really pushes me when it downshifts. i never had a car like this before. almost makes you think someone rear ended you a bit. i'm assuming it's normal though. i hope
Old April 4th, 2014, 12:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by luckydriver
one thing i noticed in my 2014 is it really pushes me when it downshifts. i never had a car like this before. almost makes you think someone rear ended you a bit. i'm assuming it's normal though. i hope
Is this a normal slow down or fast slow down?

I haven't noticed any on normal slow downs. Manual mode might feel a little firmer I guess than Drive... but then again - I'm looking for the downshifts.

Had a hiccup coming to a stop once where it did something unexpected and jerked.
Old April 14th, 2014, 9:22 AM
CF Junior Member

i've been trying to keep track of this. if i just coast for a while knowing i have to stop up ahead it's a noticeable downshift.

i never use manual

i'm also starting to not like the hesitation in the pedal. was coasting a bit then got on it and there was a delay. response should be instant! maybe we need to go back to cables/wires? kinda scary if you really need the power and it's not there.