Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

How much is a Suburban with a cracked head worth?? How much money, time involved?

Search this Thread

Old April 19th, 2013, 6:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much is a Suburban with a cracked head worth?? How much money, time involved?

Here's the deal.... I posted here before about my buddy who had a Suburban that was leaking coolant that we couldn't find *and* oil that we could see on the ground. They eventually replaced the oil pressure switch and that stopped the oil leak. The only way to stop the coolant leak was with some Bars Leaks aluminum coolant stop leak. Eventually, a couple/few months went by and then it started leaking again. This was just last week. I suggested they get some more and sell the truck -- AGAIN. No go.

So anyway... they drove it one more time and it started overheating, where they described the temperature gauge needle to be at the 3/4 mark instead of at or below the 1/2 mark where it normally was. They took it to a mechanic that located the oil pressure switch leak, but there's a problem this time. He told them "blown head", and immediately they didn't even want to hear an estimate. Eventually, he offered them $1,200 for the Suburban. And THEN they asked how much to repair and he said over $2,000.

Now they're considering taking the $1,200... but they owe me a little more than that and are wondering if they can give me the truck and some cash to squash their debt. I've never done a head job, but I'm sure that I have most of the tools to do this job. Not sure about spring compressors or something for the valve / rocker arms (not sure on technical terminology since I've never done this before), but those can probly be rented from the parts store.

Anyway.... when he says "blown head", I think he just means blown head gasket. In which case, repairpal.com states that $1,100 should be the max cost to replace a head gasket and maybe even a few other things to replace, like hoses and what not. I just checked rockauto.com and it costs less than $500 (after core is returned) for a remanufactured head. So... $1,600 should be the max cost if I paid somebody else to fix it. So $2,800 cost to me overall. But if I can repair it myself it shouldn't be more than $1,900. And I've got a decent amount of free time, but I've got other projects to fix. I would likely move this one to the front of the pack, tho... in order to try to sell it and recoup my monies.

What do you guys think???

P.S. - This is a 5.3L, which from what I've read before... is not typical for the head to crack. So... more reason for me to believe that this is just a gasket. And considering it's leaking coolant INSIDE the engine, where it's getting in the oil... I don't see how the guy can say it's a cracked head (he hasn't, just said it's a "blown head" as far as I know). So a "more than $2,000" quote seems awfully out of line.

Last edited by grndslm; April 19th, 2013 at 6:36 PM.
Old April 20th, 2013, 1:54 PM
CF Beginner

Anybody??

Any idea where I could get a new, reman engine from for the cheap? And how cheap?

Or would just replacing the head be a good idea??

If it's just a gasket, I think I'd take it and just replace the gasket. But I don't think I can figure out if it's cracked unless I take the head off.

Any thoughts? I know the engine hasn't overheated any serious amount, so I'm thinking it could be worth my time.
Old April 20th, 2013, 1:57 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

No one knows. What model/year, interior condition ect. Post some pics.
Old April 23rd, 2013, 12:39 AM
CF Beginner

Default Doh!!

Guess I did forget a few details, eh??

2001 1500 LT with 255,000 miles!!! 4WD.

Only real problems are that the right side tires are virtually bald, the spare tire needs to be replaced as well. There is a decent tear in the driver seat, but the rest of the leather is in good condition. Carpet is kinda dirty. There's a dent in the back left, by the tail light (not in pics). Also, it's got 3rd row seating, but just in storage. And oh yea, the rear hatch hydraulics are WEAK!

Recently replaced oil pressure switch, which was the cause of a gradually growing oil leak. Just replaced spark plugs a few weeks ago and changed the oil... that's when we noticed a good deal of water and put the aluminum coolant stop leak in there.

Old April 23rd, 2013, 7:49 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last year I paid $800 for a 99 C1500 in about the same condition with 175000 miles, maybe just a bit worse. The 4wd hurts your value imo. If you are offered $800-1000, take it and run. You should get $500 or so just for scrap.
Old April 23rd, 2013, 11:26 AM
CF Beginner

You are probly right about the 4wd hurting its value.

I've called Firestone, and they quoted me $1100 to do both head gaskets. A remaned head would cost me less than $500. The blue book value of the car in FAIR condition is definitely over $3000. But that doesn't mean I can find someone to pay $3000, however.

I guess I won't take the risk and just tell them to sell it for $1,200.
Old April 24th, 2013, 6:36 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by grndslm
A remaned head would cost me less than $500.
Just for future reference, you can have a local shop rebuild both of the heads you have for around $300, probably less.
Old April 24th, 2013, 11:21 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Value killers.
over 200k
motor issues
cosmetic issues.

If it were me I would consider taking it to satisfy the debt if you had every intention of doing the headgasket job and flipping it.

In the end if you get it for 1200, consider (depending on how you value your time) it's going to take at least that much to make it a desirable sell. I'm talking tires, headgasket job, cleanup etc.

I think either way it's a gamble for you. depends on what you want to shell out.