Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

64' 283ci Carb 2bbl to 4bbl?

Search this Thread

Old January 27th, 2013, 7:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 64' 283ci Carb 2bbl to 4bbl?

I have a 1964 Impala 4dr with the 283 2bbl. I've just started working on this car after it sitting for 8yrs. The current Rochester 2bbl is in need of a re-build or replacement. Wondering if I should rebuild, replace with new 2bbl rochester, or if possible a new intake and 4bbl? Has anyone done this, is it feisible, and what intakes/ carbs would work propperly? Do I need to upgrade anyhing like cams or put on headers? Engine is bone stock, had a rebuild 9yrs ago and was parked 8months after. Not looking to get tons of bhp just something thats cost effective, efficient, and looks good. Part numbers or suggestions appreciated. Don't have much knowledge of this so all help is appreciated!
Old January 27th, 2013, 7:26 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

stock 283, I'd don't know. What do you want from it? Quadrajet will get better fuel mileage if you keep your foot out of the firewall. There is nothing wrong with a 2GC. If you change besides the intake, there will be throttle linkage, choke ect. I assume with a 64 it is a hot air choke, so the 4 bbl intake will have to accomodate a quad hot air choke. The quad is an excellent carb (IMO) when done right. The 2GC is fine also especially for a sbc. I still run a 2GC on my BBO. Basically you don't need the quad with what you have.
Old January 27th, 2013, 7:34 PM
CF Beginner

Ok, would you suggest trying to find a replacement over a re-build? If a new 2bbl, any good sites online that have stock replacements you know of? And the idea for a 4bbl was the thought of "if i have to get a new one anyways should I go bigger" and a little more power.

Thanks for the fast reply
Old January 27th, 2013, 7:38 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by dakiota
Ok, would you suggest trying to find a replacement over a re-build? If a new 2bbl, any good sites online that have stock replacements you know of? And the idea for a 4bbl was the thought of "if i have to get a new one anyways should I go bigger" and a little more power.

Thanks for the fast reply
The 283 is the limit on power. A 2bl will suit it just fine. There will be a number on the base of the carb. Post it, I can look it up.
Old January 27th, 2013, 7:41 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you, I'll have to get my dad to check it as im 3hrs away for school. Ill get back to ya shortly.
Old January 30th, 2013, 7:00 PM
CF Beginner

Ok, so thought it had the original rochester but apparently it has an autoline c949? No idea if that works but thats the info I was given
Old January 30th, 2013, 7:23 PM
CF Monarch

Never heard of it. It could be a Holley or eldebrock clone.