Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Awkward noise in engine bay

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2021, 4:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Awkward noise in engine bay

2015 Chevy impala
4dr 3.6 v6
Hi, I've noticed recently that there is a weird noise that sounds like it's coming from the engine bay, but im not positive on the location. It sounds like a rattling or almost a chain rubbing against something. When I hold on the brakes at a red light for example, it will make the noise. Also, I can hear it at times when the engine idles, but only below about 2k rpms. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated!!!
Old May 15th, 2021, 11:11 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Cgreen
2015 Chevy impala
4dr 3.6 v6
Hi, I've noticed recently that there is a weird noise that sounds like it's coming from the engine bay, but im not positive on the location. It sounds like a rattling or almost a chain rubbing against something. When I hold on the brakes at a red light for example, it will make the noise. Also, I can hear it at times when the engine idles, but only below about 2k rpms. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated!!!
If you put it in neutral, does it still make the same noise?
Old May 16th, 2021, 5:23 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
If you put it in neutral, does it still make the same noise?
It doesn't make the noise in neutral, so I'm also wondering if it has to do with the driveshaft
Old May 16th, 2021, 9:28 AM
CF Monarch

It doesn't make the noise in neutral, so I'm also wondering if it has to do with the driveshaft
I believe I found out the source of your issue, after quite a bit of searching, as it was quite intriguing to me. This is what I found out about your 2015
Chevrolet Impala 3.6 liter sedan:

Problem: A driver may report that a growling noise is coming from the front of the vehicle.

Cause: The condition may be caused by a loss of pre-load on the front-wheel bearings due to the axle nut.

Correction: To diagnose the noise, re-torque the existing front axle shaft nut to 162 ft/lbs and test drive the vehicle. If the noise is eliminated, replace both front axle nuts with the updated part (P/N: 10257766). On vehicles equipped with the police package, add an additional Nord-Lock.

I hope that helps you, Cgreen. I believe that you can rent a torque wrench at lots of auto part stores, so you won't need to buy one, just for a one-time use. I'd use Locktight on them, as well.

Old May 16th, 2021, 10:55 AM
CF Beginner

I believe I found out the source of your issue, after quite a bit of searching, as it was quite intriguing to me. This is what I found out about your 2015
Chevrolet Impala 3.6 liter sedan:

Problem: A driver may report that a growling noise is coming from the front of the vehicle.

Cause: The condition may be caused by a loss of pre-load on the front-wheel bearings due to the axle nut.

Correction: To diagnose the noise, re-torque the existing front axle shaft nut to 162 ft/lbs and test drive the vehicle. If the noise is eliminated, replace both front axle nuts with the updated part (P/N: 10257766). On vehicles equipped with the police package, add an additional Nord-Lock.

I hope that helps you, Cgreen. I believe that you can rent a torque wrench at lots of auto part stores, so you won't need to buy one, just for a one-time use. I'd use Locktight on them, as well.
I will try this when I get out of work,, I greatly appreciate the help and will be sure to give you an update!
The following users liked this post:
oilcanhenry (May 16th, 2021)
Old May 16th, 2021, 11:50 AM
CF Monarch

I will try this when I get out of work,, I greatly appreciate the help and will be sure to give you an update!
Please do so. I am very interested in the results, and I hope this solves your issue.
Old May 17th, 2021, 1:42 PM
CF Beginner

Please do so. I am very interested in the results, and I hope this solves your issue.
Update, I re-torqued both axle nuts then took it for a test drive, but the sound is still there but quieter. It also sounds like a groan when I slowly release the brake pedal like a caliper is grinding.