Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Brake Job & Dash Warning Lights - '03 Impala LS 3.8L

Search this Thread

Old April 30th, 2009, 4:25 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Brake Job & Dash Warning Lights - '03 Impala LS 3.8L

I replaced the front brake pads and rotors on my car a few days ago. I also gravity bled the front brakes and replaced the fluid as it lowered till ran clear. The brakes work great now, but my Message Center, on the lower right side of the gauge area, warning light says "Low Brake Fluid" and the "TRAC OFF" light, on the left side of the gauge area, is on and so is the "BRAKE" light below that.

Am I correct in assuming that the computer system noticed a change or that the brakes & fluid have been messed with and that is why the lights are on? Also, correct in the fact that all I have to do is reset the codes using a Code Reader/Resetting Device and that will fix the problem? With them on, I can not activate the Traction Control System either. I tried disconnecting the battery for about 4-5 minutes and that did not fix the problem. The brakes, as I said, are working great now.

Please let me know if I am on the right track with this or if I am way off. I am making a 2800+ mile trip in 3 weeks and need to make sure my car is running real good. Thanks!
Old April 30th, 2009, 7:17 AM
Impala Super Moderator

Your gonna have to leave the battery unhooked longer than that. Or just unplug the PCM fuse overnight
Old April 30th, 2009, 7:52 AM
CF Junior Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by HotSauce6226
Your gonna have to leave the battery unhooked longer than that. Or just unplug the PCM fuse overnight
So, that should work?

Will connecting a Code Reading Device and resetting/erasing the error codes also work in the same fashion?

Also, wouldn't disconnection the battery or PCM overnight reset everything the car has learned or stored like driving habits, performance issues and compensations, fuel/air/altitude ratios, tire monitoring, etc.?
Old April 30th, 2009, 8:05 AM
Impala Super Moderator

That should work. But if your riding fine now, id go have the code checked first.
Yes leaving it unhooked will be like a factory default and reset everything, but will learn driving habits alil faster
Old May 1st, 2009, 3:52 AM
CF Junior Member

Unhappy

Originally Posted by HotSauce6226
That should work. But if your riding fine now, id go have the code checked first.
Yes leaving it unhooked will be like a factory default and reset everything, but will learn driving habits alil faster
Ok.... I hooked the code reader up and WAM!... nothing. There are no codes. The car is clean of any codes.

Is there something else here I am missing?? I did notice that there was some brake fluid on the connector/sensor thing coming out of the side of the Brake Reservoir. I cleaned it up using Q-tips and canned air, but that didn't seem to help either. Probably should get some electrical connector cleaner from AutoZone. Should I go ahead and disconnect the battery and leave it unhooked for about 4-6 hours and see if that turns the dash lights out and allows me to reactivate my Traction Control??

If I do that and the lights are still there, then what? Everything was put back on exactly as it was before we did the brakes.

HELP!!
Old May 1st, 2009, 12:18 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

fill the reservoir up.....you didn't mention anything about adding fluid after you bled them......
If you did add fluid, tap the side of the reservior with a screwdriver with the key on and have someone watch the light as you tap....usually what happens is the float gets stuck and a few taps usually frees it up
Old May 1st, 2009, 3:36 PM
CF Junior Member

Unhappy

Originally Posted by shawnvw
fill the reservoir up.....you didn't mention anything about adding fluid after you bled them......
If you did add fluid, tap the side of the reservior with a screwdriver with the key on and have someone watch the light as you tap....usually what happens is the float gets stuck and a few taps usually frees it up
Actually, I stated at the beginning of the thread that I gravity bled it and refilled it as it lowered, or some to that effect. I will try tapping on the reservoir with the key in the "ON" position and see if that gets those lights to shut off and allows my Traction Control to work. I will let you know how I make out.
Old May 2nd, 2009, 4:24 AM
CF Junior Member

Talking

THAT WORKED shawnvw! WOO HOO!! Thank you soo much. You are a life saver. I also turned the car off and back on and the "TRAC OFF" light went out and my Traction Control is now working fine. Again, thanks. I love you guys. >sniff< >sniff<
Old May 4th, 2009, 5:58 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

sorry..didn't notice that part of your msg.
glad to hear it was an easy fix
Old May 5th, 2009, 12:11 AM
CF Veteran

Don't pay him too much mind Shawn...he gets emotional.