Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Brake pad issue

Search this Thread

Old January 5th, 2016, 3:06 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake pad issue

I have a 2007 Impala. I'm replacing front brake pads. I put new pad abutment shims/ clips on the abutment bracket/caliper mounting bracket , but the new pads won't fit without grinding a little metal off each end of pad backing plate.
I had to do this last pad change also.These are premium ceramic pads from Autozone that come with the abutment clips. Has anyone had to do this? After removing old pads and clips and cleaning mounting bracket the new shims/clips fit fine.
I thought maybe the paint on the new pad backing plate was too thick, but I've had to grind more than just the paint to make them fit. All 4 pads had to be ground slightly.

Appreciate any info.

Chris
Old January 5th, 2016, 4:57 PM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

Are you sure you are getting the correct pads for your year and model? I don't have an Impala, but I have never had to grind down pads to make them fit!!
Old January 5th, 2016, 9:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some pads come with different thickness of shims/clips are you sure you're using the right ones? Rust on the brackets? If you have to grind anything on the brakes you definitely should be taking a closer look
Old January 6th, 2016, 10:42 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default pad fitment issues

Thanks for the responses fellas. I do have the correct pads. 2007 Impala LT, Duralast Max , DGC 1159 ,comes with abutment clips/ shims.

I've done many brake jobs over the years and this is the 1st time I've ever experienced this. I test fit the new pads without the shims/clips, they fit fine and would probably work fine, but I don't want to deal with the inevitable noises.
Put the clips on, pads don't fit. The caliper mounting bracket where the clips go are free of rust and dirt. A little grinding, a little of the included brake lubricant in the right places and the brakes work fine.
I just don't get it. I can't be the only one with this issue. Maybe sloppy manufacturing. Both front brakes are like this.

Thanks again.
Chris