Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

A/C Condenser and A/C Receiver Drier Replacement on Impala 2005

Search this Thread

Old April 21st, 2017, 1:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Condenser and A/C Receiver Drier Replacement on Impala 2005

The AC condenser is leaking, so I've decided to replace it (along with the AC drier, as it is highly recommended). The whole process didn't take too long (first time doing this). If this post is going to become of interest for many people I will try to post the video, too. Maybe on YouTube. I couldn't find any video online for Impala 2005 (3.4L engine). I am by no means an experienced mechanic, but a big enthusiast and car lower, so I do a lot of repairs by myself.
Just to start with saying there is no need to remove the radiator out of the car, not even the fans which are mounted on the radiator. Please, disconnect the battery first.
The process starts with removal of the head lights (very easy operation after the protective cover gets removed from the top of the frame, between the head lights). After this task the cross bar on the right side of the engine (the one that goes diagonally from the right side of the car to the front of the car, fixed with three bolts) needs to be removed so you can gain access to the air filtration system. Remove the whole air filter box along with the air tube to the throttle body on the engine. Be careful with the piece of the electronics that is located inside of the air box (it looks like the car computer), just move it to the side of the engine, cover with the clean cloth and leave it on the engine. The next you will have to unscrew the front bolts on two top motor holders, which are fixed to the front frame of the car. Just remove three bolts on each of the holders and lift them up. At this time the engine is going to kick/pull back (don't be scared, it's normal). Now you have the access to the radiator. To gain the access to the condenser you will need to remove the bolts from the radiator, one on the top of the radiator (in the middle of the radiator) and one on each side of the radiator, a little bit lower from the top. Once you have all three bolts out you will be able to push the radiator towards the engine (try to wiggle it a bit and lift up the whole assy for about 1": the radiator is sitting in the frame (no bolts on the bottom of the radiator). Now you have the access to the condenser. Before taking the condenser out you will need to disconnect the air drier from the condenser and the hose from the condenser to the rest of the AC system. Both connections are on the right side of the condenser facing the engine. The condenser is not bolted to the radiator, it's simply sitting in four holders (two on each side of the radiator), but because of the rust it took me a while to get it out. Be careful not to brake the plastic holders on the radiator. Before you start putting the new condenser and the drier please make sure to put the PAG oil in both components. I was told by a Chevy dealer to use PAG oil 46, but I couldn't get the info on the quantity of oil for component. I will put 1oz in each component (found info on the Internet). The installation of the new components is just a reverse process of taking it out. Just make sure you have new o-rings on every connection that requires them. They should come with the drier. Good Luck!
Old April 21st, 2017, 4:14 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the walk through. It's going to be helpful to someone. A video of the steps would be super.