Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Car Shopping

Search this Thread

Old January 9th, 2009, 1:50 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Shopping

Presently looking for used 08 Impala or Malibu. Seems like theyve improved over the years.

Anything I should know and watch out for? Dealers don't seem to be willing to deal as much as I thought. Shouldn't a taxpayer get a decent deal for helping bail them out?

Spoke with one of the dealer service today and he said one "minor" issue with the Impalas is the steering column shaft can develop a rattle. Only fix is to replace it and its only free if its under warranty.

After doing some searches, looks like this problem is true to 03 and earlier?
Old January 10th, 2009, 12:27 AM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: Car Shopping

You're apparently looking at new. I bought my 08 Impala LT used and saved a ton. Almost all 08 used (regardless of brand) are off lease or former rental vehicles. Mine was a rental but I paid $11,800 for it and it looks new. I put a new set of tires on it and it drives and rides new. Impalas have come a long way and I would recommend one as long as you buy it used. The depreciation kills you if you buy new.
Old January 10th, 2009, 7:35 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks, Osbornk. On the contrary, I am actually looking for a used one. You can't make me buy a new car. All my cars have over 100k miles (I have one with 300k+ miles and they all started used). $11800 for an 08!! Thats a really good price. Did you get an LT ot LS? How many miles did it have?

Around here (West Michigan) the asking is between $13k to $15k with 20k-30k miles. Used cars generally have a high mark up and am hoping I can get an 08 for $10-$11k.

Good idea on putting new tires. What tires did you pick?
Old January 10th, 2009, 10:19 PM
CF Veteran

My Impala (2006) has column shift and I don't have any problems (49000 on the clock). Don't let 'em feed you a line of BS. My rub is the intermediate steering shaft on either of them. Mine was "used" too.
Old January 12th, 2009, 9:58 AM
CF Junior Member

ORIGINAL: tobybul

Thanks, Osbornk. On the contrary, I am actually looking for a used one. You can't make me buy a new car. All my cars have over 100k miles (I have one with 300k+ miles and they all started used). $11800 for an 08!! Thats a really good price. Did you get an LT ot LS? How many miles did it have?

Around here (West Michigan) the asking is between $13k to $15k with 20k-30k miles. Used cars generally have a high mark up and am hoping I can get an 08 for $10-$11k.

Good idea on putting new tires. What tires did you pick?
Mine is a LT1 (3.5 engine which is the engine I wanted). The LT2 orLTZ comes with a 3.9. It is a retired Enterprise car and had 35,000 miles on it when I got it. The set of Tiger Paws made it feel just like a new car. I looked a long time for a 2007 or 2008 Mercury Milan, Impala or similar car. Almost every 2007 or 2008 I found had a rental/lease history. People who bought one new are still upside down in their cars and can't trade. I bought mine in November and paid my friend dealer $200 over his cost. Unfortunately, the next list that came out had the car for $1,100 less as they were trying to clear them out before the first of the year. It is an excellent car and I am happy with my purchase even if I did pay more than I could have. The last list had not Impalas on it at all. You just never know.