Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Car wont start battery now dead.

Search this Thread

Old July 13th, 2016, 3:07 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car wont start battery now dead.

I've read many many MANY posts on multiple forums about my problem but have been unsuccessful in finding the solution.

2007 3.9 impala. 80k+ miles. Yesterday I was changing my oil. Everything went well I might have to tighten my filter a little more because it's leaking I believe. But I finished the oil change and drove my car up the block and back. No problems occur. I park the car give it a rinse down and get back in and reset the oil life to 100% and try to head to work. The car made this weird clicking noise when I turned on the AC. So I shut the car off and tried to start it again. It didn't crank or anything. It made this weird clicking noise when I turned the key or hit the pedal. But no start. Then I tried it a few more times, every time the battery working less and less well. Then it died completely. I unhooked the battery thinking it might be an ecm problem. I reset the computer and had some juice left. I tried again and nothing new. And then it died again. So I try to get a jump and it gave the battery juice for all the lights to work again but it still wouldn't do anything but click. Now I have heard it could be the starter, but why did it start up regularly 2 seconds before? And it could be the battery but the battery also worked fine until after I reset the oil life. Does anyone know what's going on? Any suggestions?
Old July 13th, 2016, 7:44 AM
CF Veteran

you'll have to test the battery and circuits to the starter to be sure. I would assume the battery is fine if nothing changed with a jump but it still should be tested. By the sounds of it your starter is probably the issue but you need to verify that it has 12v to it.
Old July 13th, 2016, 12:11 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by cleveland63b
you'll have to test the battery and circuits to the starter to be sure. I would assume the battery is fine if nothing changed with a jump but it still should be tested. By the sounds of it your starter is probably the issue but you need to verify that it has 12v to it.
Thank you. I'll check the battery. How much would a starter run me? And what causes them to go go out?
Old July 14th, 2016, 12:38 PM
CF Beginner

It's gotta be the battery. How old is it?
Old July 14th, 2016, 12:41 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Official NOCO
It's gotta be the battery. How old is it?
I'm not sure I haven't changed it sense I bought the car a year ago. It says it's from Costco but doesn't have the date punched in unfortunately. If it was the battery wouldn't it have started up while getting a jump?
Old July 15th, 2016, 8:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

nope....not if the battery is shorted internally or has a bad cell
single click or rapid clicking when trying to crank?

Last edited by tech2; July 15th, 2016 at 8:52 PM.
Old July 15th, 2016, 8:51 PM
CF Beginner

Oh ok. Thanks!